Chapter 17 - The Incident

Aaron quickly checked the driveway and confirmed the blue car wasn't still parked there. At first, his paranoia had him wondering if that was because it was the ghost car but realized it could just be that whoever owned it was out at work right now.

Despite this logic, he was positive it was the same car that nearly hit him the other day. No one else in the neighborhood had one like it, so now all he had to do was figure out which housemate owned it.

He started heading upstairs when he was abruptly startled by Trevor emerging from around the corner.

"Jesus man!" Aaron shrieked, putting a hand over his heart.

Trevor did likewise, though his shriek was more high-pitched.

Out of everyone in the house, Trevor was the easiest to frighten. He usually hid in his room or behind the others when something weird was happening.

"Sorry." Trevor put his hands down and cleared his throat.

Aaron picked this moment to go ahead and strike up a conversation since everyone else was angry with him. Unlike them, Trevor never came outright and accused him of anything, let alone tossed glares his way. So far the guy just seemed to be trying to avoid the situation altogether.

"Do you know who owns the blue car?" He asked carefully.

"Huh?" Trevor tilted his head. "What blue car?"

"The convertible."

"Oh." Trevor scratched his neck. "I think it's Cliff's."

Cliff...

Lights flicked on in Aaron's mind. He didn't look it, but Cliff was a speedster and was known for racing through the neighborhood, which matched up with a theory he was developing. 

"Wasn't Cliff in an accident not too long ago? Someone said he had to put a hold on his rent so he could pay for the damages."

"Yeah. That's right."

"Did he replace the car?"

"Nope. He loves that thing too much."

"So that's the same car he had totaled during that accident?"

Trevor frowned, unable to piece the events together. Then he shrugged. "I don't know. You'll have to ask him for specifics. All I know is what I heard."

"Okay. I'll be sure to do that." He agreed and made room for Trevor to pass by. He noticed the man sniff the air, then huff as he continued on his way.

Aaron knew he should be focusing on keeping his channel afloat, but this was too big of a lead for him to ignore. Everything seemed to be lining up perfectly for once. He grabbed a jacket and stepped outside, pausing only for a moment when he was reminded of the crack in the door.

Pulling up the GPS, he searched for the nearest park and walked all the way there. Once he found the place, it didn't take no more than fifteen minutes to find what he was searching for.

A couple of yards away was a small playground with a slide and two swings. The grass was patchy at best, with wood chips under the equipment for the children to play on. A worn-out sidewalk circled the area with a few trees next to chained-up trash bins. There was only one picnic table, and that too was chained to a cement block in the ground. 

The tree he was standing in front of had a huge scrape, as though something large had smashed into it. Though the plant somehow survived the damage. Checking the park sign, he looked up the name on his phone to see if there were any news articles of interest.