Chapter 18 - Cuddles

~Warning: Spicy Chapter!~

---

Aaron struggled with sleep after that encounter. He just couldn't get Caleb's words out of his head.

Technically it was true, Caleb's ghost had started everything, but what was the alternative? Live with a bunch of dead people and not know it?

It was a good thing that he didn't have to fall asleep for the time shift to happen, because he was wide awake and full of questions. Once midnight hit, sunlight burst through his windows, alerting him to the change.

Rubbing his eyes and adjusting to the brightness, Aaron went downstairs, wondering if he would bump into Cliff? According to the obituary, the man had died in the middle of the night, so this didn't seem like the right time of day.

Recognizing the remodeled room, he let out a sigh of relief knowing he was back in Caleb's time because he certainly didn't have a plan prepared for the hipster.

Caleb was sitting on the couch reading something on his phone, and Aaron knew how suspicious it would look if he walked in from the stairs. So, while the man was distracted, he slunk around behind the couch, head down, and then pretended to pop up from the other side.

"Hey-"

"Aaaah!" Caleb's hand jerked, flinging the phone over the back of the couch. "Shit!"

"Oh shit! I'm so sorry!" Aaron hurried to retrieve the device and was relieved to find it was unscathed. "It's good!" He confirmed, handing it back to Caleb who was now sitting up on the couch, wide awake and blinking at the front door.

"When did you get here?" He asked.

"Just now?"

"But...That doesn't..." Caleb scratched his head while Aaron circled and sat next to him.

"What's got you so worked up? You're not usually this jumpy."

The guy repositioned himself so he was sitting straighter. "I was looking up some stuff about the house."

"Find anything interesting?"

Caleb frowned and Aaron tilted his head. "Wait, did you really? Because I've been googling the shit out of this place and nothing useful ever came up!"

"It's not that. I...Well, you keep asking about the house and its history, so I started looking more into it. Turns out, there are a lot more rumors about this place than I first heard. And when I talked to the bank, they told me more details about what happened here."

"Like what?"

"Like how there was a gas leak eight years ago that killed a guy in his sleep. The furnace was removed afterward, but it creeps me out to know someone died in here."

Aaron was about to point out the other confirmed deaths but shut his mouth when he recalled that Elijah and Justin's incidents had been avoided. But now he knew there was at least one other death in the house, so he'd have to investigate.

"Don't suppose you know the name of the poor guy?" Aaron crossed his fingers, but as usual, Caleb didn't have the answer and shook his head.

"It's weird. There's a small report on the accident, but no mention of a name. Which got me thinking about the rumors I'd been hearing around town. The people I work with claim that they were always told to avoid this house or else it'd give them bad luck."

"Bad luck? They didn't say it would eat them?"

"You know that one too, huh?"

Aaron nodded, then rolled his eyes to express how ridiculous that story was.