Chapter 8 - Spooking the Spook

Elijah sat cross-legged on Aaron's bed as he showed him the footage. The angle was tilted towards the front of his door, thus avoiding anyone else's like Todd requested, and Aaron thought everything looked normal up until he fast-forwarded it to a shadow blob floating into Elijah's room.

"Wait...So does that mean the one that's haunting me is also haunting you?"

Elijah shrugged. "I dunno. I was pretty freaked out at first, but the more I thought about it, the better this is. I mean, if you were the only haunted one then I'd have to rely on you to catch all the good stuff, but now I know I can get some awesome shots myself!" Elijah rubbed his chin. "You don't suppose there's more than one ghost, do you?"

"Could be. Remember how the one in my room was staring down at me while I was wide awake, and I had no idea until we checked the cameras? Maybe there's one in the room right now?"

The two stared uncomfortably at each other, then scanned the room as though they'd spot an invisible figure. When nothing seemed out of the norm, they returned their attention to the laptop screen.

"Whatever's going on, I think I'm gonna sleep in the living room tonight."

Aaron huffed, having done that same thing when he first learned that his room was haunted. "Go for it. Just don't come crying to me when the banging keeps you up at night."

"Oh, I'm not scared." Elijah stood, a sparkle in his eye. "I'm keeping watch. So far we've confirmed activity in both our rooms and the hall, as well as the front door. Since we can't record everyone else's rooms or the living room, I thought I'd record myself sleeping down there to see if anything shows up."

"Isn't that exactly what Todd told us NOT to do?"

"Todd said we couldn't set up cameras around the house. He didn't say we couldn't record ourselves. Besides, it'll be the middle of the night, so no one will be down there anyway. And if he catches me, I'll talk him into it."

Aaron doubted it'd be as easy as that, but held no arguments against the attempt.

Since he'd had a pretty terrible day and his computer was still on the fritz, he took some melatonin and tried to go to sleep early. When he struggled, he pulled out his phone and watched a few 'oddly satisfying' videos to help him relax before he finally drifted off, remembering that whatever that creepy thing was, it may very well be Caleb.

When he woke up, his phone was laying on his chest and he was still fully clothed. 

Just as he suspected, he found the sun shining through the window despite the time showing a little after midnight.

Hopping to his feet, he left and climbed down the stairs where he spotted Caleb in the living room, kneeling on the ground and tapping the floor.

"Hello there." Aaron greeted the man, who nearly flipped himself over in surprise.

"Jesus Christ! How do you keep doing that?!" He yelped.

Aaron couldn't help giggling at the reversed roles. He noticed how Caleb turned towards the front door, confusion all over his face.

"I got the magic touch. That's how." He suggested vaguely.

"Sure you do. How about you use that magic touch and help me stop this floorboard from squeaking then?"

He walked over and stepped where the man had been tapping, and sure enough, it creaked as he put pressure on it. Aaron didn't recall this board being squeaky in the future though, so he knew Caleb would eventually fix it.

"Sorry man, looks like my magic touch doesn't work for you."

Caleb pinched the bridge of his nose. "I sure as hell hope this doesn't mean water damage. That's gonna be expensive to fix."