𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏!

𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏!

"HEY, MIGUEL," said Alex as she sat in the chair beside his hospital bed. She'd been visiting him everyday since the school fight. She'd kept her mental promise and had left the hospital the next morning, despite the advice of all the doctors. Without her mother or her father being able to stop her from discharging herself, she was able to leave without problem. Shelly had made sure to check her once before leaving, just to make sure her stitches were still safely intact. The doctors prescribed Alex some medication, but the girl knew that she wouldn't be able to take them. Without insurance, they were likely to cost a fortune— a fortune that Alex needed to save for the inevitable hospital bills that would begin piling up.

It had been a week and a half, but so much had happened. Only family was supposed to go back to see Miguel, but Carmen told the doctors and nurses that Alex was family, and so she was able to see her comatosed boyfriend. "I, uh, just thought I'd visit again. I miss you. Even though I came yesterday, and the day before too. I just wish that you weren't in this position."

Her head was pounding, something it did daily now. Shelly had warned that the concussion wasn't fully treated and that she should take it easy; even though Alex ignored that almost completely and went back to work the day she left the hospital. Usually a few Tylenol helped, but the past two days had been so bad that nothing helped anything anymore. "I saw Demetri yesterday after I left, which was a nice surprise because Hawk and Casey have been guarding me 24-7. We talked about school and watched the Sandlot. I actually haven't went back yet— Counselor Blatt won't let me. She thinks I need some time to, uh, process everything that happened. I think Shelly also gave her a call."

"I brought you some flowers; they're sunflowers. I know you always stop to look at the ones growing outside the coffee shop when we go. You never stop to look at any of the other flowers, so I figured sunflowers were your favorites," she explained to him. She sucked in a deep breath, not ready how to tell him what she needed to say. A few tears streamed down her face. "I know you've probably heard this a thousand times from basically everyone, but I really need you to keep fighting. I can't—."

She stopped, choking on a sob. She balled her hands into fists to attempt to keep them from trembling. Her head began to hurt worse, which made her wince a bit to herself. She tried to hide the pain, she wasn't sure of why—it's not like he could see her.

"I can't lose you too."

She finished with a cry. She reached out to touch his arm. It was cold and she felt the goosebumps from touching him for the first time since the the morning of the incident. She bit her lip, her side stinging from her body shaking. The stitches had yet to heal; Shelly convincing Alex to let her take them out in a few days. The pain was still there, though, and very clearly at that.

"I can't lose you too, Miguel. I—, um, Mom; she passed last night."

a/n: um, remember when i said it only gets worse for alex? yeah, this is part of that. things don't get better for a long time. whoops. i kinda have a problem with pushing all of my own unresolved trauma onto my characters and it shows.

hope you've all had a wonderful day!!<3

~chloe