Chapter 24

—August 1941—
—Eastern Poland, looted Apartment Building—

A single female soldier sat in a ransacked room by a severely tattered bed as she toiled with her firearm.

"...Tch..." She clicked her tongue.

Soon a Male soldier stepped into the room.

"Hey Lelya, we're leaving soon this place is on the edge of drained."

"I gotcha, I'll be by shortly." She bluntly said, before the man simply left.

In an honest note, she was really disillusioned. She wasn't easy to be swayed over by propaganda, powerful uplifting speeches, or a display of momentary supremacy, This mindset first took a spark when she met Matthew, a person she considered the turning point in her life.

She had hoped to meet him again as an ally or close acquaintance since their two countries signed a non-aggression treaty, but her heart and that hope seemingly broke when her home country immediately declared war, just two years after the Pact was signed.

Her Mindset drew her away from such a war, but Patriotism for her country as-well as the mass conscription, forced her to do so anyway. She felt like her dream was crumbling even though her country seemed to be winning, she worried about what would happen once she would meet Matthew again, would he hate her, or would he not mind or would he be... Dea-

"Blyat... Stop thinking... That can't be possible..." she silnetly uttered through clenched teeth to herself, as she began to walk down the steps of the building.

Stepping out she would easily see the damage done by the invasion, buildings have already crumbled several German bodies were scattered by the streets but many polish people were just left.

To her this felt like 'Curse in disguised as a blessing' for the Polish, the army stationed with the area weren't given any advancing orders yet, so many men were busy with guarding and searching the city.

In unfeminine fashion she walked over towards a nearby heavily foliage area, just at the edge of the city area to take a leak, but she was soon stopped by Faint talking in the distance.

"Hm?"

She walked closer to the origins, and slowed to make sure nothing would cause an alarm to whoever or whatever is nearby.

"Jesus Christ, Carina... Could you not shove..."

"Oh, I'm sorry Franz... I didn't know your comfort is more important than our survival getaway from this wasteland...!" A female voice replied

"No, that's not what I mean...!"

She peered over to see three individuals, two males and a female, all wearing German attires, They are all of different rank, and coincidentally their rank differences are by one.

"Well what else do you mean...?!"

"We could easily provide enough sound to giveaway our location by just shuffling or pushing each-other around precariously, we are on the edge of capture when we're this close to that communist-controlled highway."

"That barely makes any sense...!"

"It barely makes sense because your brain is centred around weapons rather than acoustics...!"

One of them which essentially remained silent the whole time, Werner, soon began to speak up.

"Could you guys just keep your voices down, you're causing even more noise than earlier that we could- Oop, nevermind. We're dead." The Werner said, the last portion of his sentence was spoken when he turned his head to see Lelya.