Chapter 4

You wake up to the sun on your face. After a few seconds you realise Natasha is asleep on a chair in the corner of the room. You remember seeing her on the rooftop, how familiar she seemed. You look at her now and realise she makes you feel safer than you have in a long time.

Wanda re-enters your room, she is showered and dressed. She carries a bundle of clothes that she hands to you.

"You can borrow these, we'll go buy you your own later"

The corner of her mouth turns up, a half hearted smile. You return the gesture, secretly glad they both refused to leave you last night but also feeling guilty that neither would take your bed.

The intercom buzzes. Natasha stirs.

"Training room in 15 minutes" Starks voice cuts in. "Everybody".

10 minutes later you enter the training room with Wanda and Nat. You look around and see more faces than the night before and they're all looking at you.

"Since Y/N can't tell us about her powers, I figure she can show us what she can do. She can demonstrate on us." Stark announces.

He sees Wanda step forward and raises his hands.

"We can't help her train if we don't know what we're working with" he explains.

"It's her first day" Wanda pleads.

"It's fine Wanda, really, I'll do it if it helps" you tell her before turning your attention to Tony. "So what are the teams...?"

"Well" he smirks "we really need to see how strong you are so umm"

"I'm on my own" you sigh and he nods as the realisation hits you.

You walk across the room and steady yourself trying to focus your mind and prepare for what is to come. You see Wanda looking apprehensive and your eyes seek out Nat, shes looking at the floor avoiding you.

Before you can say you're ready you see Clint step forward. He draws an arrow that you know will never miss. You reach out with your mind, grabbing his and projecting what you wish him to see.

"What the..." he spins around confused. In front of him a meadow filled with snow. It's empty aside from the children playing and he lowers his bow. You release the hold you had on him and he smirks, nodding in approval as he steps back.

As you smile back you spot movements to your left, Steve runs at you. You dodge the first punch but the second hits your ribs. The wind is knocked out of you and you feel your eyes burn as the fire starts. He hesitates when he sees them and you take the advantage. The power builds inside of you and your hands glow with the mist. You push your hands towards him and the magic makes contact before he can react. He hits the wall with a thud and is helped up by a laughing Thor.

You notice Tony starting to suit up, and hit him with your power. You feel him struggle as you pin him to the wall focusing with everything you have. He doesn't give up and you know he won't, he's testing you.

Thor appears to your right and before you're ready Mjölnir leaves his hand heading for you. You spin bringing your hands in front of you to create a shield with the magic. The hanmer hits it and without thinking you twist the mist to spin it right back at him.

You hear Steve laugh but can't see him, Peter swings towards you and you catch him in mid air, throwing him next to Tony and desperately trying to contain both.

You feel the power building and know you've gone too far, you're losing control.

Your eyes are wide you continue to fight. You're holding Peter and Tony. Your shield takes a beating, arrows, hammer, shield, arrows, hammer, shield.

"Wanda... I can't... I'll hurt them" you plead.

"You've got this" She speaks into your head "find an anchor, control your power"

You search desperately for an anchor. A happy memory. A place. A feeling. Anything to help you control it. And then your eyes lock on Natasha...

"You've got it, that's your anchor. Now control it"

With one deep breath you reach out with your mind. You give a push bigger than ever and see Clint, Thor and Steve hit the floor.

You see Natasha smile. She runs towards you and you drop your guard, the shield comes down, Tony and Peter join the others on the floor. You realise your mistake a split second too late. Her fist hits your nose and you feel the blood flow. You give a final push, the last of the mist that surrounded you hits her and you both fall to the ground.

"I'm sorry" you reach for her to help her up "I didn't mean to"

"You're sorry? I've ruined your face and that hoodie you borrowed"

You laugh as you wipe your face. The blood already stopped, your nose healed.

You notice her watching you as you pull your hand away but you can't read the expression on her face.

You look around and see everyone picking themselves up. Suddenly Wanda laughs as she walks towards you. She smirks and tilts her head as she sees you with Nat but says nothing.

When she sees the confusion on everyone's faces she shrugs,

"I guess Thor isn't the strongest Avenger after all"