Chapter 23

You trained with Wanda and Peter for another couple of hours after you all ate the food he had brought to you.

You were right. It had been a painful lesson. You had lost count of the number of times you'd fallen, much to Wanda's horror each time, and the number of bruises, sprains, and one broken ankle you had felt heal. Eventually, you felt as though you'd gotten the hang of it enough that it could be useful if needed, albeit nowhere near as competent as Wanda was.

As your feet touched the floor the final time, you saw the pride in her face. You wondered to yourself how she ever learnt this alone. Even with your healing abilities, every inch of your body ached and mentally, you were exhausted.

"I'm worn out, guys," you admit defeat as your eyes find the clock. 15:26.

It's been hours since the others left. You pick up Nat's hoodie and head towards the door, Wanda walks beside you as Peter trails behind. You hear him talking excitedly but are too tired to focus on the words.

As the three of you pass the mission control room, you glace through the doorway. You see Tony examining plans on his holographic display screens. The room is otherwise empty, and you continue walking, trying not to interrupt his work.

The main room is also empty and you don't hear voices from the kitchen so you head towards the stairs, departing from your friends. You're excited to reach your room and the prospect of a hot shower and clean clothes, possibly even a nap before dinner.

As you turn the door knob and open the door, you spot Nat sitting in the chair in the corner. You break into a smile, please to see her. It's several seconds before your eyes process what she is wearing and several more before your brain connects the dots.

"You're leaving." it's more of a statement than a question. You already know her widow suit means she's been assigned a mission.

"We all are," She replies. You can see the regret in her eyes.

"All of you?"

"Wanda is staying," She explains, "just in case. And Peter"

"Today?" You realise if you must be left behind with anyone other that Nat, Wanda is the best option.

"Soon," She answers. "I know the timing is awful, I tried to stay, but they need me."

"It's ok," you fake a smile. "This is your job, I get it. How long will you be gone?"

"Maybe three days, maybe three weeks. I really don't know"

There's an apology in her tone as she watches you. You let out a sigh, nodding your head as you close the distance between the two of you. No sooner have your lips found hers you're interrupted by the comms system.

"Romanoff, we're waiting on you," Tony's voice sounds throughout the compound.

"I have to go." She looks at you one last time before stepping around you and out of the room.

You watch her leave. She doesn't look back as she squares her shoulders before heading downstairs, every sign of vulnerability gone.

You head to the shower, letting the hot water soothe your aching muscles if not the worries in your mind. You redress and head downstairs.

Peter has set up a projector in the main room. He's selecting a movie to watch, large amounts of snack foods littering the table and floor around the sofas.

Wanda sits on one of the sofas watching him. As you get halfway down the stairs, she hears your movement and turns towards you, offering you a smile.

You throw yourself onto the sofa beside her and feel her place an arm around your shoulder. You don't complain, allowing your body to settle against hers.

Peter glances towards you both with a smile. Seconds later, he's draping you both in a blanket before taking a seat at the other end of the sofa.

'Wanda was right' you think to yourself 'he is a good kid'. You smile back at him briefly as he starts the movie.

If anyone had asked you even a day later, you wouldn't be able to tell them what happened in the movie, or even it's name.

In no time at all, you're asleep, pressed tightly against your best friend, hoping the worries that plague your dreams don't come to pass.