Chapter 18

Stepping out of the shower, you feel the floor vibrate beneath your feet.

"A party?" You ask Nat as you step from her bathroom into her room wrapped in a towel.

"Tony called it a 'business get together' or something." She shrugs. "I'll skip it if you're not up to it?"

You look over to her remembering how happy she was just yesterday, how much she had laughed and how you'd got lost in her smile. You can't bring yourself to deprive her of a night like that.

"Not a chance, Romanoff, you owe me a dance," you smile at her.

"I wouldn't class what you were doing as dancing," She teases.

You laugh as your arms wrap around her waist, planting a kiss on her cheek. She leans into you, aiming for your lips, but you pull away with a smile on your face.

"Nope," you smile harder at the feigned insult on her face. "I've got to find Wanda, I have nothing to wear."

She groans as you step back but opens the door for you. It isn't until you walk into the hallway, seeing Peter's wide-eyed expression and hearing Nat laugh that you remember you're still wrapped in just a towel. As you knock on Wanda's door, Steve passes you, briefly seeming confused until Nat lets out a wolf whistle, winks at you, and returns to her room.

You duck into Wanda's room as soon as the door opens. She's standing a few feet away with her arm outstretched and a dress in hand.

"How did you..." You start to question, giving up as she taps her temple."Not fair. You know, one day you're going to see something you really don't want to"

"I don't doubt it," She responds with a grin.

She tosses you the dress, averting her eyes while you put it on. As you look in the mirror, you have to admit it's beautiful, cobalt blue. It comes to midway down your thigh. You adjust it a little, making sure the asymmetrical design sits right.

"It suits you." Wanda smiles as she helps you fix your hair and make up.

In no time, you're both ready. You head to the staircase, scanning the room below for Nat. You don't see her in the crowded room, but after a few seconds, your eyes land on Bucky. His face is cut and bruised, and you feel guilt knot your stomach as you change direction, making your way through the mass of bodies towards him. You hesitate in front of him, unsure of what to say.

"It's alright, kid, I get 5 he pulls you into a firm hug.

"I am sorry, Bucky, I never meant for this." You hug him back, hoping he feels your regret.

"This?" This is nothing." he waves your apology away with his hand before noticing your confusion. "HYDRA had me too. Believe me, I get it,"

You offer him a smile, starting to relax as he turns back towards Sam, his arm still around your shoulder. Wanda rejoins you, drinks in hand. She hands you yours with a smile. She opens her mouth like she has something to say before thinking better of it, closing her mouth and looking away.

"What's up, Wanda?" You question drawing her attention back to you.

"Nothing, I just wondered, nothing." She looks to the floor.

"Come on, Wan, you can tell me," you pry, vaguely aware that Bucky and Sam have stopped talking and turned their attention to the two of you.

"I was just wondering whether the cabin was as great as it was in Nat's head." Wanda looks anywhere but at you.

"You probably shouldn't have read those thoughts." You feel your face burning as the others let out small laughs.

"In my defence, she didn't exactly make it difficult. Her mind was extremely loud." Wanda raises her hands in a defensive pose.

"Not the only thing that I bet was loud," you hear Sam mutter to Bucky, who laughs. You sigh with a shake of your head.

"The cabin was perfect," you give in and answer, "and Nat, being with her was incredible. Honestly, if we weren't ambushed, I think I could have stayed there forever. "

"It's good to see you both happy." Steve steps out of the crowd towards you, wrapping you in a hug of his own. "And you two," he eyeballs Sam and Bucky "should probably leave her alone before she kicks both of your butts."

You all laugh as Steve begins to recount the tale of today's sparring match to Sam. He goes on to tell him about the bridge the night before, and you see Sam looking at you with uncertainty.

"I guess the kid really could be the strongest Avenger," he shrugs.

"I'm not actually an Avenger," you point out. "I'm not supposed to fight, and I'm pretty sure Tony grounded me again."

The others laugh again as Carol approaches with a smile.

"Your girl is looking for you." She nods in your direction. "She's over at the bar. She said something about a dance?"

"She's not MY girl," you roll your eyes. "we're just..." Your words tail off, and you shrug, remembering you have no idea exactly what you are.

"Oh really?" Steve raises an eyebrow as Carol looks at you with a knowing smile.

"I think you should talk to her tonight." Wanda smirks. "Her head is very loud again.