Chapter 20

As you both head downstairs, your eyes scan the room again. You spot Wanda standing by the bar laughing with Maria and Carol.

"Do you mind if I...?" You motion towards them.

"Go ahead, I'll see you soon." Nat kisses your cheek before you see her walk toward Clint and Steve.

You watch her for a moment longer before you turn back towards the bar. Wanda spots you as you weave towards her. She tilts her head as she looks at you with a smirk. As you draw closer, she laughs. You see Carol and Maria looking at her in confusion as she pulls you into a hug.

"Well, it's about time." She rolls her eyes as she pulls away.

"You might want to run when she finds you," you warn.

"You needed a push." she waves her hand at your words.

You both turn towards the others. There's a smile on Carol's face, but you notice a stoney expression on Maria's.

"So I heard you're officially part of the team." Carol's smile gets wider. "Welcome on board,"

"I should really find Tony and thank him for the suit." You're embarrassed the thought didn't come to you sooner.

"He's busy with his friends Honey, he won't even notice" you feel Pepper squeeze your shoulder as she joins you all "you know, I don't think I ever saw Natasha so at ease" she adds with a nod across the room.

You follow her eyeline and see Nat standing with the guys. They're all laughing and joking, Pepper is right, Nat looks happy and relaxed. She feels your gaze on her, and you lock eyes across the room, sharing a smile.

You use your powers to push an image into her head, a memory. The two of you in the cabin, your hand using her shirt to pull her closer, your lips meeting as you fall back onto the bed, her hand sliding under your shirt as she straddles your waist, your hands removing her shirt as your lips move to her neck. Across the room, you see her cheeks flush red as she raises an eyebrow.

"Y/N" Maria's voice pulls your attention back to the group. "Everything OK?"

"Everything is fine, I was just thinking," You keep your answer vague, hoping nobody asks more.

There's a guilty look on Wanda's face that suggests she already knows what you were sharing with Nat, and she avoids your attempt at eye contact.

"I was asking how your training is going." Maria looks at you.

"Well, I'm not dead yet," you joke, "so I guess it's going well. How about you, found that HYDRA base?"

"I'm not convinced Fury will let you go even when we do." She shakes her head as she answers.

"Fury doesn't own me." Your words come out as a warning.

"No, but he believes, and I'm inclined to agree, that this..." She begins to explain.

"That this isn't his fight," Natasha interrupts as she wraps an arm around your waist. "It's her fight, her friend, her life story. If she wants to go, I'd love to see you try to stop her, and when she does go, I'll be right by her side. "

You relax into Nat's arms, relieved that she is with you in this.

"Point taken," Maria raises her hands in defeat.

"How about we play nice?" Pepper shrugs as she lines up shot glasses, filling them with a clear liquid.

You can feel Nat glaring at Maria over your shoulder and intertwine your fingers with hers to calm her, her arms are still around your waist and you hear her exhale as she briefly places her forehead on your shoulder.

As Pepper fills the last glass, you take the one closest to you. You raise it to your lips and swallow. As the liquid hits the back of your throat, you screw up your face in disgust while the others laugh.

"Oh sweetie, you're supposed to use the salt and lime to make it taste better," Pepper explains as she hands you a drink to wash it down.

"It tastes great." You manage between coughs as the others laugh again.

You spend the next hour or so together laughing and sharing stories in between rounds of shots. Various people join your group, and you enjoy getting to know the rest of the team better.

Eventually, people start to drift off and join other groups or leave altogether. Nat excuses the two of you, leaving Carol and Wanda alone at the bar. She leads you across the room by your hand before pulling you towards her.

"Don't think, just keep your eyes on me," Nat tells you.

She holds you by the waist, her body pressed against yours. Despite the alcohol you feel self-conscious and stumble awkwardly.

"Relax, this is supposed to be fun," Nat tells you as she nods towards Wanda.

As you're joined by your friend, Nat steps behind you, guiding your hips with her hands. Soon enough, you relax, and you're all laughing. You still won't win any awards, but at least you're not tripping over your own feet.

People continue to leave as the early hours tick by, the party dwindling until there are only a few small groups left. You notice Wanda nod in Nats direction and turn to see Steve and Bucky giving her a thumbs up.

By the time you turn back to Wanda, Nat has grabbed your hand and is leading you across the room. You briefly see Wanda smile before you're pulled away.

"Where are we going?" You question, confused at the abrupt exit.

"You'll see," she grins at you as she continues to lead you across the room. "Close your eyes," She adds as you approach the door leading to the courtyard.

You do as you're told, trusting Nat to guide you. You feel the cool air on your face as you step outside, you hear the door shut, the remaining party noise replaced by slower, more gentle music that plays nearby and running water.

"Ok," you hear Nat's voice, "you can open them."

You open your eyes slowly and are lost for words. You're standing in the centre of a path. It is lined on both sides with candles and scattered with rose petals. At the end of the path is a fountain, illuminated by lighting in the water, two glasses sitting on the edge. Beyond the path, the bushes and trees sparkle as the fairy lights they hold flicker.

"You did all of this?" You look to Nat.

"I planned it." She shrugs. "Steve and Bucky put it together."

"Nat, this is incredible." You look back to what she's created.

"I had a plan" her cheeks flush red "I was going to bring you out here and tell you how I felt but you're impulsive and impatient and we got there a little earlier than I expected" She laughs "it seemed a shame to waste a good plan though"

She leads you towards the fountain, handing you a glass. You take a sip and notice her smiling as she watches you.

"I've never had anybody care enough to make this much effort," you tell her. "Thank you,"

She pulls you towards her, taking your glasses and placing them back on the fountain edge. The music continues to play softly as she takes your hand in hers, her other hand on your waist, yours on her shoulder.

For a few minutes, you focus on not standing on her feet or tripping on your own, but you find this easier than it was inside. You allow her the dance you owed her and enjoy how easy it is to be so close to her.

After a while, your head falls onto her shoulder, and it takes you a few seconds to realise she is singing softly as the two of you dance.

"Singing she's a, she's a lady
And I am not a boy
Singing she's a, she's a lady
And I am just a line without...
Oh baby, I am a wreck when I'm without you
I need you here to stay
Broke all my bones that day I found you
Crying at the lake
Was there something I said to make you
Feel like you're a burden, oh
And if I could take it all back, I swear that I
Would pull you from the tide"

You listen to her words, a content smile on your face, safe in her arms.