Chapter 33

You're perched on the top of a filing cabinet in the corner of the mission control room,  your legs hang over the side, your hands grip the edge so tightly your knuckles are white. 

There's a bang, and you jump, startled.  It takes a second for you to realise it was Yelena's back hitting the cabinet beside your legs. You hadn't noticed her approach.  She doesn't speak, just slouches beside you, silently ensuring you know you're not alone.  You're grateful for the gesture but aren't sure the smile you attempt to force ever reaches your face.  You see her give a single nod and know she understands.

Maria arrived around an hour after her phone call.  Across the room, you see her, and Nat standing over surveillance photos, maps, and plans.  Sam views them from an awkward angle to the left side, Wanda from the right. 

The sound of their words reach you, but you don't hear them in any way that has meaning. They sound distant and dull, as if you are underwater.  You sit dazed. You knew they were looking for the base, for Sydney, but you never believed they'd find it.  You're glad they did. You want to see them destroy it, to free your friend, but then Carol's words return to you...

"She went with them willingly,"

The memory fills you with confusion as you fight to match this person with the one who freed you, potentially saving your life.

Remembering your escape forces you to remember everything, and a wave of terror washes over you, your head taking you to the worst nights.  It isn't until you feel Yelena's hand on your arm, warm in contrast to the cold that seems to radiate from your core, that you're aware of the tears falling silently down your face.

Your eyes meet, and you briefly see hers soften before she straightens her shoulders, standing up straight as if to make herself taller.  Determination in her eyes she spins on her heels.

"When do we leave?" She interrupts the conversation across the room.

You see the others glance at her before returning to the piles of paper in front of them.

"Hey," her voice is louder this time. "I said when do we leave?"

"We?" Maria questions,"you don't. "

"Bullshit. She called and asked for my help. " Yelena motions towards Nat.

"You're not SHIELD nor an Avenger." Maria's tone is more hostile. "You don't go. There is no time for babysitting."

"Fuck you" you see Yelena step forward "this is my family, I go and if you're lucky I'll babysit you"

You see Maria step from behind the conference table and walk towards Yelena.  You drop from where you're sat, stepping beside Yelena, an arm drawn in front of her.  Maria stalls, unsure of your intentions.

"When do we leave?" You repeat Yelena's question, directing it at everyone except Maria.

"We should wait for the others to get back" Sam answers your question.

"That could be weeks" Wanda shrugs.

"We'll call them,, they will come" Sam answers rationally.

"Thor and Carol?" Nat looks at Maria for an answer and receives a head shake in response.

"It could be too late, right now we have the element of surprise" Wanda reasons.

"But we don't have numbers on our side" Maria counters.

"We have the witch" Yelena nods towards Wanda "and Y/N"

"They have the weapon" Maria objects.

"She's not a weapon.  She's not a weapon any more than I am.  She is the only reason I am here and she deserves the same chance to live" you voice cracks as you finish speaking.

You see Nat looking between Maria and the plans in front of her, torn in her decision.  All eyes are on her, waiting for her to lead you all.  She looks to you, the anguish clear in her eyes as she sees your tear stained face.

"Call the others" She looks to Sam "if they can get here before tonight they come, if they can't let's hope they can meet us there as back up'

Sam nods his head confirming he understands.  Maria throws an arm up, shaking her head as she turns away from you all and reaches for her phone, no doubt to call Fury.  Wanda's eyes meet yours, her face determined but tense and you feel Yelena's hand on your shoulder.

"Suit up" Nat's voice interrupts the brief silence "let's go help a friend"