Chapter 13

"Nat?" She hears your voice shake and turns towards you.

"It's OK" She tries to reassure you with her eyes but your head carries you back to the long months, years of torture "we'll be OK but I need you to get to the car, I'll be right behind you"

She leads you through the cabin towards the back door. It's the furthest point from the intruders but also further from the car.

"When I open this door, you're going to run, and you don't turn back for anything," She whispers to you, "got it."

You nod reluctantly, not liking the thought of leaving her but knowing she isn't willing to argue.

She pulls the door open, and a guy in black stands on the other side. He's tall and muscular, a handgun already drawn. She kicks him to the stomach, and despite the size difference, it knocks him off his feet.

"Run." She turns away from you as you take off, pushing yourself harder than you ever did running with Steve. A gunshot rings out, and you hesitate. Looking over your shoulder, you see Nat throw a punch at a second figure. As he hits the floor, she follows you. You reach the car seconds apart, and you slam the passenger door as she opens the drivers side.

"Fasten your seat belt." She gives the warning without looking at you as she throws the car into reverse, the wheels spin, gravel crunches, and the car lurches backwards. You notice several SUVs as the car rejoins the road, Natasha puts it into gear and throws her foot on the gas.

"What about Clint?" You question.

"They'll track our GPS" She answers without taking her eyes away from the road. "we have to go. There are too many, and if one gets to you..." She doesn't finish her sentence. You follow her eyes to the mirror. Turning in your seat, you see 4 SUVs behind you.

You take Natasha's earlier instruction and buckle your seat belt as the car accelerates. She zig zags through traffic using both sides of the road in a bid to put some distance between the two of you and the SUVs.

"We can't outrun them, Nat." You see her jaw clench. She knows you're right. "You have to let me fight with you. It's the only way."

"Over my dead body"

"That's what I'm trying to avoid," you plead with her.

"Likewise," her answer is blunt, but when she responds again, her tone has softened. "If we can't outrun, then we just need to run long enough for the other to get to us."

No sooner have the words left her mouth when a car in front slams on its breaks in the middle of a junction. Nat swerves to miss it. You see the SUV too late to shout a warning. It barrels into the passenger side of the car. The car flips and rolls. You try to count, one rotation, two rotations, three... you hit your head and black out.

Seconds later, you come round to Nat calling your name.

"Y/N, stay with me," you hear the panic in her voice. "Don't you dare leave me here alone."

"I'm good, I'm healing," you mumble, still dazed.

It takes a second for your eyes to adjust. The car is on its roof,  landed on the bridge on the opposite side of the intersection. The car rests against the safety rail, which leans precariously. You're pretty sure it just saved your lives. You look to Natasha. Blood covers the right side of her face. You feel your eyes change as you undo the seat belt, hitting the roof with a thud. Glass scrapes under you as you crawl through the broken front window.

"Screw this," you mutter to yourself. "You guys wanna play, huh?" You add a little louder.

You hear Nat following you out as you climb to your feet. By the time you've steadied yourself, your hands glow, and the mist spreads faster than ever. As you become aware of Natasha to your left, you notice it now consumes your full body.

"You learnt a new trick Y/N" it's a cold voice, one you recognise from your nightmares. You see Nat tilt her head, and you're sure she hears it in the memories you showed her.

You reach out with your mind trying to work how many of them there are. You locate 8 before you're pulled back to where you stand.

"Come with us Y/N" the voice continues as a silhouette steps out of the shadows. "we're your family, we understand you, we can make you stronger than you ever dreamed."

You focus yourself. You're no longer scared of them or yourself. You allow your anger to fuel the power, and as you focus, the mist strengthens until your entire body is surrounded by a blue flame. It dances along your skin, you hear Nat gasp beside you.

"How the..." The voice is filled with caution now, suddenly less certain of itself.

"I have a family," your voice rings across the bridge with a calmness that shows you truly believe your words. "They understand me. They make me stronger than even you ever dreamed I'd be."

"Y/N these people aim to control you," his voice no longer shows his surprise or desperation.

"These people helped me find my anchor" you tell him as your fingers briefly search for Nat "you tried to break it" you continue with a smile as you hand finds the front of Nat's hoodie and grips it "you shouldn't have done that"

Before anyone can react, your left hand shoves Nat backwards, and you use your powers to make sure she stays down. Your right arm comes up in front of you, and with your mind, you push harder than ever, sending out an almighty wave of your power.

You hear a jet above you as car windows across the bridge shatter, and silhouettes hit the floor. You hear Nat back on her feet behind you and see the voice climb to his feet, albeit unsteadily. He pulls a gun and aims behind you.

You run at him. With your mind, you wrestle the gun as your body slides, taking his legs from underneath him. You hear a gunshot behind you and panic.

"Nat?" You call out to her.

"It's OK, I'm a better shot when I'm pissed off," She yells back before more shots ring out.

"Cavalry is here." Carol lands at your feet, offering you a hand. You take it and allow her to pull you to your feet. You see Nat trading blows with a couple of figures across the bridge, a third charges her from behind, and you throw a ball of blue energy at him. As it impacts, so does Steve's shield.

An arrow flies to your left, skimming your face, there's a thud, and you turn to see a body on the floor, one of Clint's arrows resting in its chest. When you turn back, you notice the voice is gone.

"Let's go," you hear Carol as you spin looking for him. In the distance, you see Wanda, the same red glow from the night you met her. You run in her direction, as you pass Nat you use your powers to throw her opponents over the side of the bridge, there is a splash as they hit the water and Nat joins you in heading for Wanda.

"Wait," you hear the voice as you reach Wanda's side. "I have something you want."

You spin on your heels, turning to face him, Wanda stands to your left, Nat on your right. Steve and Carol are behind you. Behind the voice, another figure emerges from one of the SUVs, a familiar figure.

"That's not possible." You shake your head. "You're dead, I watched you die,"

"Y/N?" Nat's voice seems a million miles away.

"You're dead," you repeat.

The figure steps forward, and a blue glow begins in her hands. You see your powers from the outside, and as you look at your own hands, it's like a mirror.

"You saw what you needed to see Y/N," the figure steps forward. "Now come home with me. We can be together."

"Y/N" Steve tries to get your attention this time.

"Come with me, let them free you like you freed me." You step forward, your arm outstretched.

There's a laugh. You see your one-time friends face screw up in anguish, her arm pulls back, the power concentrated in her palm. Before you can move theres a blast, it's red, not blue. You see it hit her chest, and you watch her fall over the railings. You never hear her hit the water. Your ears are filled with your screams.

An arm grabs you around the waist much like Natasha had hours earlier. It pulls you backwards, towards the jet, towards safety, towards home.