Chapter 11

Less than an hour later, you're climbing into an Audi E-Tron GT.

"This is yours?" You ask Nat as she climbs into the drivers seat.

"Not exactly." She avoids your eyes as she starts the engine "Tony's."

"You talked to him... right?" You question.

"Not exactly."

"We are in so much trouble," you sigh as you relax into your seat. "So much trouble."

"It's fine, Wanda is going to cover for us but I'll have you back before he even notices, he's out with Pepper tonight so we have all the time in the world" She reassures you.

The further away you get from the compound, the more you relax. You're grateful for the home they have given you, the protection they have granted, and the friendship you have been shown. You're also aware that the constant training and hard work is already making you faster, stronger and far more in control of your powers but, despite this its a relief to spend a day away from it all and be yourself rather than the soldier you are being trained to be.

Half an hour into your drive, a song you recognise plays on the radio and without thought you sing along.

"The songs on the radio are okay
But my taste in music is your face
And it takes a song to come around
To show you how
She's the tear in my heart
I'm alive
She's the tear in my heart
I'm on fire
She's the tear in my heart
Take me higher
Than I've ever been, " You hear a laugh beside you and look to your right.

The breeze whips through the open window, ruffling Nat's crimson hair as she flashes you the most incredible smile. Your heart skips a beat, and your breath catches. You wish you could stay in this moment forever, just the two of you.

"I've never seen you like this before," her voice interrupts your thoughts, drawing you back to reality.

"I'm sorry, I just knew that one," you start to apologise "it doesn't happen often."

"No, no, don't, I like it, I could definitely fall for this side of you," her eyes lock on yours, judging your reaction before she looks back to the road.

"I think I already did fall for this view." You blurt it out in a moment of bravery before looking away as you feel yourself blushing.

While you feign interest in something on the horizon, Nat, let's go of the gear stick, her fingers brush yours, and your hands intertwine.

"I'm pretty into this view too." her answer calms you, and you return your attention to the radio.

Around an hour later, gravel crunches as you pull up outside a cabin. It is surrounded almost entirely by trees with the front of the cabin facing a lake. A small dock leads down to the water, and as the car engine cuts out, the only sound you hear is the birds in the trees.

Nat walks around and opens your door before returning to the rear of the car and pulling out two bags. You had no idea she had packed for herself, let alone you.

"Wanda," She shrugs, and you smile, making a mental note to thank your friend.

You follow Nat into the cabin and through a door where she drops the bags onto a pre-made bed.

"There's only one room." She suddenly seems nervous, and you raise an eyebrow.

"There isn't even a chair in here. Sure, you'll cope?" You tease, and she laughs softly.

Spurred on by your bravery earlier, you decide to take the lead. You reach out and grab the front of her shirt, pulling her towards you. You spot her smile a split second before your lips meet hers, and as you fall backwards onto the bed, you're suddenly glad you ended up on that rooftop the night you met.