Chapter 22

You turn to face Nat as Steve checks on Bucky.  You press your forehead against hers and place your hand on her cheek.

"Are you ok?" You question.

"Am I OK?" She sounds angrier than you expected."Every time I see you, there is blood.  You and Bucky are constantly trying to kill each other, and then you throw yourself in front of Steve like that.  It's like you have some insane death wish you forgot to mention.  What the hell is wrong with you?"

You smirk at her as she rants. She pushes you away with the last sentence, clearly annoyed that you're finding it all funny.

"It's not a death wish," you explain. "Completely the opposite, you gave me a reason to want to live.  Now, I need to be able to protect you, to protect myself.  They can help me with that"

"I know," She sighs. "Just please don't kill yourself in the process.  And for the record, I've been protecting myself just fine so far. "

Before you can answer, you're interrupted by Wanda and Peter entering the room.  Peter smiles at you as Wanda turns her attention to Nat.

"Fury is here," She explains. "He needs you in the mission control room.  You too, Steve, and Bucky"

"Hey Y/N, maybe we can train while they're gone," Peter asks. You can hear the excitement in his voice and don't have the heart to turn him down.

"Sure, kid.  Wanda, I was hoping we could train too?" You add as you turn to Nat, planting a kiss on her cheek."I'll see you later?"

"Of course," they both answer your questions at the same time.

You watch the three of them leave the room before turning back towards Peter and Wanda.  Peter bounces on the balls of his feet, an awkward smile on his face.  He doesn't often stay at the compound, but his aunt is away for the week, and you can tell he's excited to be here. 

"So how do we train a spider?" You return his smile.

The next hour is taken up by Wanda and you using your powers to launch objects across the room while Peter uses his webs to swing about trying to catch them all.  For good measure, you blast balls of blue energy at him periodically, forcing him to adapt and improvise his strategy.

As he lands on his feet beside you, his stomach gives out a loud growl. 

"Oh, I forgot about breakfast," he says wide-eyed. "I should eat.  You should both eat too, did you already eat?  I could bring us food.  I can't actually cook, but sandwiches look easy. "

"Wow," you let out a deep breath as you watch him jog out of the room. "He is..."

"A good kid," Wanda finishes for you. "He's a really good kid.  He's been through a lot."

You sigh as you sit yourself on the floor.  You can feel Wanda's eyes on you. You do your best to avoid them.  She stands in silence for a few seconds before eventually sitting herself next to you.  You see her hand reach for your arm before she hesitates and pulls it away.

"How are you doing Y/N" You can tell she's still watching you. "Nat told me about your parents."

Honestly " you take a deep breath before meeting her gaze. "I don't really know how I feel about all of that.  I've thought about them every day of my life.  In my head, they are good people, but in reality, I never really knew them, and now I never will. "

"I'm sorry Y/N" You see genuine concern in Wanda's eyes, and you're reminded how much she cares for you.

"Bruce says we share DNA or something?" You attempt a smile as you try to lighten the mood."I didn't really understand it all, but it sounded cool, " you shrug.

"Not really our DNA but our powers at least." She returns your smile. "I guess he thinks whatever they did with my DNA came from the same source as yours, maybe even from you."

"Maybe if we train together, I'll learn more about my powers?" You look at her hopefully.

"I can't make fire." She laughs as she nods to your hands.

"I can't fly." You fire back at her.

"You have telekinesis." She looks at you like the answer is obvious: "You should be able to levitate with enough practice."

You jump to your feet, excited to try something new.  You see, Wanda shakes her head as she stands up beside you.

"OK." She starts, "You need to concentrate on moving the floor."

"Move the floor?" You aren't convinced this will work and look at her sceptically.

"The floor." She continues to "use blasts of your energy to push yourself away from it."

You take a deep breath, raising your arms slightly, your palms facing the floor.  You clear your mind and focus your powers before doing as Wanda told you.  The first blast catches you by surprise, throwing you off your feet.  As your body hits the floor with a thud, Peter re-enters the room, arms piled high with sandwiches and snacks. 

You hear Wanda laughs as you groan, realising this will be a long, painful lesson.