Chapter 19

You head over towards the bar.  If possible there are even more people here than there were when you came downstairs and it takes you a while to weave your way through the crowd.  Eventually you see Nat stood behind the bar, she's talking to Maria, you see her laugh and your stomach does backflips.  She sees you approaching and focuses her full attention on you.  As Maria realises Nat isn't listening anymore she turns her head towards you.

"Y/N" she nods in your direction "reconsidered that safe house?"

"Never going to happen" Nat responds for you.

"Can't see how it'd be any safer than Avengers Plaza" you add with a shrug.

"Point taken" Maria looks between the two of you "I just remembered, I needed to talk to Stark" She says as she backs away.

You watch her leave before Nat's voice pulls your attention back to the bar.

"Hey you" you hear the smile in her voice before you even turn to her.

"Hey" you say biting your bottom lip "you look..."

"About half as good as you do" She interrupts you "I've got something for you"

"For me?" Your eyes narrow as your brow creases in confusion.

"Yes for you" She smiles "it's upstairs"

You raise an eyebrow, a smirk pulling at the corner of your mouth as she laughs.

"It's not like that, but I think you'll like it anyway" she's still laughing, her cheeks flushed red "coming?"

She grabs you both a drink and steps out from behind the bar, handing yours to you.  You follow her to the staircase, at the top she guides you to your room, opening the door wide and ushering you in.  On your bed is a box, it's gift wrapped with an electric blue ribbon.

"Open it" She smiles at you.

You hesitate, running you fingers over the bow.  You never received a gift before.  You lift the lid and your eyes fall on a suit, as you lift it from the box you glace back at Nat who stands in the doorway, a natural smile on her face as she watches you.

"This is mine?" You question "really mine"

"Really yours" She answers "take a look"

The suit is lightweight and flexible but you can tell it is strong.  It's black with electric blue detailing on it.  In the bottom of the box is a belt, as you pick it up you see a blue flame on the buckle.

"It's a tracker" Nat tells you as you return your attention to her "just incase.  The suit is Stark tech, Tony made it for you, it'll protect you better than those hoodies you keep destroying.  You don't have to take it i just thought..."

"I love it!" you tell her with the biggest smile on your face "does this mean I'm allowed out?"

"We have to be careful" She pulls you towards her as you drop the suit into the bed "it took a lot for Tony to agree. Fury is still dead against it and I don't want to risk losing you either"

She looks at her feet after the last sentence like she's ashamed of her words or worried how you'll respond.  Your mind flashes back to Carol and Wanda teasing you downstairs.  You become nervous as you link your fingers with hers, you feel your hands shaking.

"Are you ok?" Nat looks at you concerned.

"Yes I'm fine" you avoid her eyes "it's nothing it's just something Carol said, and then I wondered but I wasn't sure and then Wanda said I should talk to you because your head is loud and..."

"My head is what? She read my mind?!" She sighs "slow down, what did Carol say to you?"

"That you were looking for me"

"Well, I was" She responds "is that a problem?"

"No it's just, she called you my girl" you take a deep breath, finally looking at her "and I told her you're not, not really.  But I guess I kind of wished you were and I think Wanda heard it.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean for her to read your mind"

"You wished I was" the natural smile is back on her face and her eyes sparkle.  She watches you in silence for several seconds before she speaks again

"you are the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think of at night.  When you're not with me, you are every thought in between" you feel your cheeks burn as she continues "I am jealous of every person who gets your attention and I can't even begin to explain how scared I was of losing you on that bridge or how angry I was watching Bucky hit you.  I am yours Y/N, if you want me, I am so completely yours"

The following seconds seem to last forever, your brain is working but your mouth is dry and forms no words.  You stand staring at Natasha with no idea how to follow what she just said.

"Y/N?" She finally makes eye contact sheepishly.

"I want you" you press your lips against hers "I so completely want you"

She pushes you against the wall, her lips finding yours again.  For the next few minutes she is all that exists and all that matters to you. Eventually you hear a noise outside the open doorway and Nat pulls away.

"We should probably..." She motions to the door.

"Go back to the party" you finish for her.

"Hey Y/L/N" she starts as she steps into the doorway "if you tell anyone I said all that stuff you will be so dead" despite the threat there's a grin on her face.

"So completely dead" you add with a wink.