Chapter 25

"INTRUDERS IN THE COMPOUND"

It takes a few seconds for the warning to register in your head, but as it does, you find yourself wide awake and climbing to your feet. By the time you reach the door, you look back to see Wanda also getting to her feet. You throw the door open and turn right towards the staircase.

"Shit," you curse as a realisation hits you.

You spin on your heels, throwing yourself back down the hallway. You almost collide with Wanda as she steps out of your doorway before she follows you. You reach Peter's door and stop dead, seeing it is already open. You both enter, confirming the feeling of dread in your stomach. The room is empty.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y..." You look towards Wanda. Her eyes show the same fear you feel."Where is Peter?"

"Master Parker has just arrived in the parking garage," comes the reply.

"Why would he..." Wanda begins to question.

"I really think you ought to hurry." F.R.I.D.A.Y interrupts.

You don't wait for further details. You burst past Wanda and head down the hallway, your bare feet thundering against the wooden floors. You can hear Wanda behind you, but don't wait for her, your only focus being to get to Peter.

"There are three unidentified intruders in the parking garage with Master Parker." F.R.I.D.A.Y updates you as you reach the main room, "all three are armed"

The parking garage lies on the lowest level on the compound, down a staircase at the end of the corridor to your left. You think fast and realise Peter likely took that route.

"Come on, we need to go this way" you yell back to Wanda as you turn right, bursting through the doorway to the courtyard you'd danced with Nat in a little over a week ago.

As you pass the fountain, you hear the door slam against the wall a second time and know Wanda is still behind you. You cut left across the lawn, certain Tony will hate you for it, heading for the perimeter wall. You follow the wall to the main gate before turning down the driveway, hoping that entering from the outside will catch whoever is in there by surprise.

You head for the door to the far right side of the garage. Before you can reach it, a gunshot rings out, your heart skips a beat, and you feel the blood drain from your face. You turn back towards Wanda as she catches up to you. Her hand brushes against yours, and your mind calms, knowing you're not alone.

You reach the door first and throw yourself through it. Before you are even fully in the garage, your entire upper body is surrounded by blue flames. Your eyes adjust as you enter. You make out three silhouettes on the far side of the room. Two appear to be female, and the third you judge to be Peter desperately holding them off.

"PETER, NOW!" You yell the warning as you throw a blast of energy in their direction.

Peter shoots a web almost instantly, propelling himself upwards. No sooner had you squared yourself, preparing to strike again, a foot catches you in the gut, knocking the air out of your lungs and bringing you to your knees.

You curse yourself for forgetting there were three intruders. A red blast shoots over your head, hitting your attacker as you scramble to your feet. They're back on their own feet just as quickly, you're surprised to see a girl pointing a gun in your direction. You see Wanda now on the other side of the room helping Peter. It briefly registers that the other two intruders are also female. You return your attention to the girl in front of you.

She looks to be around your age, small, you estimate maybe 5'4 at the most, but she's strong. Her hazel eyes show no fear, and her facial expression is determined. She holds the gun like she knows exactly how to use it and would have no problem doing so.

You take a step back, raising your hands, you know you'll heal and you're fairly sure you could stop a bullet aiming for the others but you have no desire to test it with your friends lives.

"Easy" you don't break eye contact with the girl but continue to back away.

"Keep walking," She warns, and your ears notice her accent, although you can't place it.

You skirt sideways around the perimeter of the room, hoping you can get to Peter and Wanda. Out of nowhere, a web hits the barrel of the gun aimed at you, yanking it from the girls grip. Almost simultaneously, Wanda uses her powers to throw her two opponents across the room. They land in a heap slightly behind the girl who faces you.

As fast as she lost the gun, she pulls a knife and runs at you. Her shoulder catches you in the chest and you land hard on your back, she's on top of you and as you move your arm to block the knife you feel a sharp pain and the blood dripping.

You struggle to get your knees between the two of you, pushing her away with all your strength. As you scramble to your feet, you reach out with your mind. You can't read her thoughts, but you feel her confusion.

You step back towards Wanda and Peter, trying to keep some distance between you and the intruders. As you do, the girls belt catches your eye. She wears it differently, but it's familiar. Realisation hits you.

As the intruders regroup, you see Wanda's hands filled with red energy, her face full of anger. You have a split second to make a decision. You use your powers, throwing a glowing blue shield between the intruders and your friends

"WANDA WAIT"

You yell the warning too late, her energy slams into your shield like an explosion, the force brings you to your knees, but you hold the shield as Wanda continues to batter it. It takes her a few seconds to realise what is happening before releasing the energy and turning towards you.

"Y/N" She looks at you furiously. "What the hell...?"

"Wanda," you look towards the intruders "they're widows."

And as the last word leaves your mouth, the world goes black, and you slump to the floor.