Chapter 15

As you walk through the main doors, you feel the back of Nat's hand brush yours.  You don't look at her, but you allow your fingers to intertwine with hers.  You approach the mission control room and feel her give a gentle squeeze before pulling her hand away.

Through the doorway, you see Banner, Stark, and Maria.  There's a fourth face, one you've never met.  Fury.  You take a deep breath and follow Nat into the room. As you glance over your shoulder, you see Wanda and the others behind you.

"Listen, Tony, I can explain..." Nat starts, but he holds his hand up.

"Save it, Romanoff," Fury interrupts. "Your little day trip almost got the kid killed, not to mention half of the Avengers.  You have no idea..." his voice rises as he becomes more irate.

"I'm not a child," you glare at him across the room, "and you shouldn't talk to her like that."

"As an agent of SHIELD, she was ordered to protect you at all costs.  She disobeyed that order when she took you from this compound. "

Your stomach sinks.  Is that the only reason she spent time with you?  Was it all to make her job easier?  You put a neutral expression back on your face as quickly as you had lost it, not wanting him to see his words hurt you.

"I don't work for SHIELD MR Fury" you emphasise your choice to deny him his director title "I left this compound of my own free will.  I returned alive, I would say she did her job just fine. "

"You are alive because half of the superbeings in New York saved your arse," he fires back.

"Actually," Carol steps forward, placing a hand on your shoulder. "we weren't really needed.  They had each other covered. It was under control before we arrived. "

You make a mental note to thank Carol when all of this is done, knowing she didn't need to take your side.

"Stark" Fury shakes his head as he stands and heads for the door "get your house in order and your people under control"

You look around as he pushes passed Clint in the doorway.  You notice Nat watching Tony, waiting for him to speak.

"Jesus Romanoff," he takes his sunglasses off as he finally speaks. "Was a romantic weekend really worth all of this?"

"Actually, I think it was." There's a hint of a smile on her face, and you can't help but laugh.

"And you" Stark rounds on you "you made a promise to stay in the compound"

"Like a lab rat?" You hear Wanda jump in."You've studied her every day since she got here, she never leaves, she trains, you experiment and she trains some more.  Is it any wonder she took a risk?"

You see Tony's face soften as he looks from Nat to you and back again. 

"I'm glad you're both ok," he turns back to Nat, "but you owe me a car.  And MY cabin, MY bed, seriously!  You're paying for my laundry service!"

There are a few laughs in the room, and you feel Nat's fingers interlock with yours again.  The bodies that had blocked the doorway step into the room and take seats.  They begin sharing information about everything they saw or heard on the bridge.  Nat tosses the tracker across the table to Banner. He nods as he looks at it, understanding instantly.

Maria makes her way towards you both. You feel Nat's grip tighten.

"I guess your first day test wasn't just dumb luck." She raises an eyebrow. "Director Fury wants you moving to a safe house away from here," She continues.

"Not happening," Nat answers before you can as the room grows silent.  Her tone suggests she's not open to debate.

"Natasha, I... it's the best option, " Maria tries anyway.

"I said it's not happening" Nat steps forward "tell Fury to make himself useful and find their base because I am going to rip it apart brick by brick to get to every last person that works there"

Maria pauses before she leaves the room.  After an awkward silence, the previous conversations continue.  Nat leaves you to discuss what she knows with Tony.  She is rapidly replaced by Wanda.

"So you and Nat," She giggles as she looks at you.

"Me and Nat?" You play dumb suddenly aware you never actually talked to Nat about what this was.

"I can read minds Y/N," she reminds you as you blush. "Hers didn't take much effort. There is only one thing in there tonight."

Nat looks over her shoulder, smiling at you. You smile back and hope Wanda avoided your thoughts, but as she tilts her head and laughs, you seriously doubt it.