3. S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Catchy," I note. I don't think I can remember what some of the letters stand for now, it was too much of an information dump. "So...what exactly is that?"

"A counter terrorism and intelligence agency." I think Hill is giving me the short definition. "It was originally created to protect the United States, but it upgraded to saving the world from all possible threats."

"That explains the nice technology you've got here," I murmur.

"You really don't remember anything, do you?" Hill asks thoughtfully.

"No, I think I would have remembered S.H.I.E.L.D." I frown. "Have you been in the news a lot?"

"Recently, yes." Her tone is quiet, her shoulders tense.

"Vanessa showed me two symbols and asked if they meant anything to me. One was S.H.I.E.L.D.'s."

"I know the other," Hill states. "But I won't tell you about that."

"Why not?"

"It's not my place to explain it to you. I will leave that up to other people."

"If I can ask, Agent Hill, where exactly are we going?"

"You'll see soon enough. We should be landing in a few hours."

That's comforting. I think. "Why am I here?" I ask her. "I know you've got the answer to that, as I'm sure Vanessa does too."

"We told you from day one that you were rescued. We helped you heal."

"That's not good enough for me anymore." I put my hands on my hips. "I want a thorough explanation. Why can't you let me go home?"

Agent Hill sucks in a breath. "That is something you will have to discuss with Agent Finley when you see her again."

Agent Finley? It's a bit strange to hear my last name associated with the word "agent" in front of it. I can't be related to this said 'Agent Finley,' can I? Would I even get an answer if I asked?

"I can show you to where you can sleep, if you want," Agent Hill offers.

"If we're going to be at our destination in a few hours, I think I'll sleep out in that room we were just in. The couch looked really inviting."

"Do you know the way back?"

"I'm sure I can ask for directions if I have to."

I leave Agent Hill in the room as I find my way back to the homely room. Agent Finley. The title sticks in my head. Is it a coincidence that S.H.I.E.L.D. has someone who shares my last name? Is it an uncle? Aunt? My mom or my dad? Do I have a sibling who works with this agency?

I'm getting way ahead of myself. The world isn't that small.

I find my way back to the homely room without much trouble. It's empty, and I gravitate towards the couch. I jump when I see something shift in a chair not far from me. I nearly scream, but I hold it in. It's the same guy I had seen earlier during my polygraph, the only guy I had a semi-good look at since I first woke up on this jet. It still stuns me how I can be on a jet for some reason. This isn't what I picture.

Curiosity takes hold of me so I can look at the guy's features more. He's not dressed in S.H.I.E.L.D. attire, but he wears dark clothing. His shirt sleeves are long, and on his left hand is a glove. It's a little strange to me, to wear one glove and not the other. Maybe he's got a reason for it.