6. The Proposal

"You want to do what?" Vanessa asks me, as though I've gone insane.

"I might as well, Vanessa," I whimper. "I'm going to be under S.H.I.E.L.D. for the rest of my life, if you think about it."

"Who planted the idea in your head?" I think Vanessa's waiting for me to say a name so she can go after someone.

"I did." I cross my arms. "Do you have a problem with it?"

"You barely know enough about us and what we're up against. You seriously want to join?"

Our little heated argument started when I proposed the question to my sister as we were gathering breakfast. It had been on my mind for quite some time now. "I'm doing nothing right now," I complain. "We've barely had time to help me remember, and Bucky barely gives me anything anymore. He's too busy practicing with Agent Romanoff. Everybody seems to be so busy all of a sudden." I pout. "I think everyone's tired of me."

"No, something's come up," Vanessa protests calmly. "It requires some of our attention."

"By some you mean most." I narrow my blue eyes.

She sighs heavily. "Getting back to what you were saying, I...I'm not sure if that's a good idea."

"Come on! I'm sure nobody would have a problem with it!" I lightly hit my hands on the table.

"I do."

"Why?"

"Danielle," she says, "it takes commitment—"

"I'll commit. Don't bullshit me, Vanessa. Tell me the real reason why."

Her green eyes turn pleading. "I don't want you to get hurt. Look at you now! You can't remember growing up together, or your graduation, or your first boyfriend, first kiss, anything. I've already lost a good part of you thanks to the head injury, I don't want to lose the rest of you because you got the insane idea to join S.H.I.E.L.D."

I smile somberly at her. "Vanessa, I'm twenty-seven. I'm an adult. I know you'll always view me as your baby sister, but I'm old enough to make my own choices. I don't want to just hang around and do nothing. I want to contribute. S.H.I.E.L.D. needs another agent in the mix."

Vanessa looks at me, I can see her mind working, playing out all the possibilities. She and I know the root reason behind her rejection: she doesn't want to lose me. She took a big risk in life, and look where it has her! She's still alive, still has her family intact (for the most part), and she's doing one of the most important jobs in the world. Her risk paid off.

Who's to say that mine won't?

"S.H.I.E.L.D. can't just grant you acceptance, Danielle," she says lowly. "It's got to be considered."

"Then grab high ranking agents and have them think it over," I propose. "Vanessa, I want to go through with this. I know you know who the higher up people are. All you have to do is put in a word of consideration for me." I bat my eyes and smile at her. "You'd be the best sister ever if you gave it a try. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean that those who think it over will share your view."

"What are you two arguing about this morning?" Bucky joins the party, taking a seat beside Vanessa.

"We're not arguing," Vanessa snaps.

"Wrong," I retort, looking at Bucky. "She's not happy that I want to join S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Legitimately join? Like, be an agent?" Bucky asks.