17. Laying Low

This is going to be our new location. In the middle of scenic nowhere.

From the time the announcement had been made at the base, Bucky and I had started to make preparations. We weren't ordered to go by new identities and everything, though I didn't understand why we didn't. We were technically fugitives, we needed to start over if we were to blend in. Didn't that require a clean slate, new name, new background, and everything else?

Now, here we are, just a few days later, standing before one of the most desolate places to hide. At least we are far away from main roads, but we are hidden deep in the woods. The cottage looks really small, as we haven't even stepped foot in it yet.

"I'm not about being a hermit," I say quietly as I lean against the car door. "I'd rather live with people around."

"But you know we can't," Bucky tells me. "Hydra is everywhere, we can't take any chances."

"You've got the phone, right?"

"You have yours?"

I pat my pocket to prove it. We were given disposable phones before departure as our only means of communication. They are the only way we'll know when it's safe to regroup with other S.H.I.E.L.D. members. "We might as well settle in," I huff. I take the lead, heading for the door.

I grab the key from under the doormat—as instructed—and unlock the door. We move ourselves in, with just us for now. We want to observe what we're staying in first.

The den room is massive, with a nice-looking fireplace. Above that fireplace is a rather nice plasma TV. I like this already, we've got entertainment.

A loveseat is to the left of the fireplace, and behind the loveseat is a window—a perfect view of the outside. The kitchen is open and sort of connected to the den room, but on the small side. As though it's only built for two people. S.H.I.E.L.D. did their research.

The floor is carpet and doesn't look half bad to sit on. I find a small hallway and go down it to find a few doors on each side. One is the bathroom, and the other is the master bedroom. My cheeks redden. I feel like I've been introduced to my honeymoon suite, with how the cottage is only made for two.

But I'm not on a honeymoon, I'm in the middle of the woods with Bucky. We're on the run since Hydra insists on pursuing us. This isn't a trip, we can't have fun here. Or can we? We can't confine ourselves to just the cottage, we'd run out of vital things, like food.

"It's simple," I murmur. "But it'll work." I venture out back to the den room to find Bucky standing guard at the window already. "I think we can rest easy, Buck. I don't think Hydra followed us here."

"You don't know that."

I walk to stand beside him, touching his arm. "You can play guard once we get our stuff inside. Come on." I have to pull him away from the window and back to the car so we can grab our things.

We never packed much, so it only took one trip from the car to the cottage.

"Where are we again?" I ask once I drop the baggage on the floor.

"Washington," Bucky states. "Some place deep in the woods, away from Hydra."

"More like away from all civilization as we know it," I scoff. "I bet the others aren't hidden in the woods like we are."

"They probably aren't even in the United States. I'm pretty sure Agents Barton and Romanoff aren't."

I shrug. I wouldn't remember anything about that, Bucky got the details from Agent Hill and Director Fury, not me. "Well, I guess we better start making this look homey."