21. The Good and the Bad

I follow Jessabelle, wondering what Pierce could want me for. I don't think a promotion is in my future. I think back to the Winter Soldier, how we are starting to make something of a bond. Could that be what my meeting with Pierce is about? Does he know? Did the Asset, as he's otherwise known as, push for me to not see him anymore?

I don't want to get killed because of my curiosity, it's harmless.

"Pierce didn't tell you what he wanted me for?" I ask Jessabelle.

"No, he just asked for you to meet with him." Even she's kept in the dark.

A few halls and an elevator ride later, Jessabelle leads me to the doors. She regards me carefully.

"Just watch what you say around him," she tells me. "He knows you, but you don't know him. He's not someone to be messed with, Dani." She squeezes my shoulder. "I'll see you soon."

I exhale loudly before knocking on the door.

"Enter," a soft, male voice calls.

With slightly trembling hands, I nudge the door open and slip through. The room is windowless, which I'm not a fan of. Though he doesn't look intimidating, I know better than to not consider him a threat to my job. He's an older gentleman, with soft, very light brown hair with red tint, making it almost a brown-orange kind of color.

"Miss Finley," he says with a smile. I collect myself as I cross the way. The man stands up, moves away from the desk to shake my hand. "Alexander Pierce."

"I know who you are, sir," I say shyly. "It's a privilege to meet you."

"Please, have a seat." We both take our seats.

"Agent Finley told me that you wanted to speak with me?"

"Ah, yes, your sister. It's all right to use your sister's name around me if it makes you more comfortable."

"Thank you." I keep my hands in my lap, my legs crossed at the ankle.

"From what I've seen, you're rising pretty quickly in our ranks."

"Yes, sir." I nod. "Be honest, is there something wrong with my work method?"

Pierce laughs lowly. "Oh, no, Miss Finley. Your work is not why you're here in this meeting. Oh, no, you're doing an excellent job in the field. I think you might be in your sister's ranks one day, maybe even sooner than you think." He leans on the desk. "I summoned you here because I need you to realize what your limits are with your rank."

"O-okay."

"You see, we all have our role to play. That's why we have our scientists, our techs, and our agents. We fit into the role we're given. Your role is being an agent for Hydra and nothing else." His voice becomes a low growl.

A shudder ripples through me. I swallow, trying to keep a calm composure.

"Anything that involves science, you need to stay away from. I thought someone as intelligent as you would realize that all our operations are monitored by hidden cameras."

Shit. "I-I thought people were joking when they said that."

"Oh, no, we take things very seriously here. If anyone is somewhere they don't belong, we know about it. The first time, we don't think anything of it if they're new or they get lost. However, you know your way around; I know your sister and a few others gave you the tour when you first joined us. We know about your little visits with our assassin, Miss Finley."