44. A Better Route

"You're rusty, Dani."

I swing a punch at him. "Sorry if I wasn't capable before. I had other commitments."

Our arms clash, skin on skin. "I think you lost muscle."

"I might've lost weight too since being in captivity." I grunt and shove myself off him. He jumps for me, I sidestep away. My ponytail swishes behind my back, providing me with little air. My brow is thick with sweat. "I kind of miss the muscle."

"Then let's get it back."

I duck and deliver a blow to his gut. He makes it look like I've hurt him, but I know I haven't.

We've been at this for fifteen minutes today alone. We've been at this for a week now, since Bucky isn't too fond of having nothing to do in Europe. Yeah, we're not even allowed to sightsee just yet, not until we're pretty sure we can walk outside our new base without being abducted on the spot or sniped.

Though Bucky aims powerful swings, he doesn't actually connect with my skin. He doesn't want to hit me.

"Seriously, Buck, I'm not a china doll," I snap. "I think I've got a higher pain tolerance now. Just don't make me internally bleed is all I'm asking."

Our room is the arena, us the fighters. Though Bucky is a giant, this is an advantage to me. I can easily dodge his high attacks on me and try and sneak in hits of my own. I say try only because he's right there to stop me just before I can be successful. Whatever training he went through and by who definitely shows that his teacher—or teachers—knew what they were doing.

I throw out a punch, which he grabs easily. I hiss as my arm is wrenched behind my back. I throw my head up to knock him on the chin. I shoot a sharp elbow into his abdomen, hoping I'll have better luck there. I don't.

He swings me around and releases me, sending me tumbling to the mats and rolling. I roll onto my back long enough to grimace as he places a triumphant foot on my stomach. I collect my breathing, plan out a new strategy in my head.

"You need a lot of work," he pants, showing me his famous trademark lopsided grin that sets my heart running. He takes his foot off, bending down to put his face above mine. I keep my breathing even through my nose. "We'll get you in good shape again."

I knock my forehead into his, sending him up on his knees. I launch myself at him, and we wrestle for control. Of course, I lose the battle, and I'm on my back again. He's got both of my wrists pinned above my head with one arm.

"Nice try. You're back to your old tactics, Dani. We've got to teach you modern moves."

"Fine. When can we bring Natasha in to help with that?"

"Whenever you want."

"She's not going on another Hydra hunting mission anytime soon, is she?"

"I'm not her secretary, go ask her yourself."

"I would hit you, but I kind of can't."

The fight in me disappears once he kisses me. All the tension just evaporates from my body, like it never existed. I smile against his mouth.

His hand disappears from my wrists, allowing me to curl a hand in his hair. He's got a hand under my clothing, the metal fingers sending trails of cold up my spine. My other hand creeps along to the one thing I need to win this.

Breathy moans escape as he hits sensitive spots on my neck. I fight through the fog and keep searching. He has it on him now, they gave it back. I know it's here somewhere. My stomach is churning, in the good way.