43. "мое спасение." ("My Salvation.")

"Just what do you think you're doing with those?"

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Natasha's voice. She's alone. Her hair is chopped short and very curly. I like the new look. I don't realize just how much time has passed since I've seen her.

She doesn't let me pass further down the hallway; she's in my way. She nods towards the scissors in my hand.

"Offering to cut people's hair now, are we?"

"I'm seeing him again," I say plainly. "His hair is driving me insane. It's past shoulder length now. Any longer and he'll have hair as long as mine."

"You think he's going to trust you with those?"

"He knows I won't hurt him. I know he's been rocky since he's been here, but I know he won't hurt me." My back twinges to remind me that could be a lie coming out of my mouth. "Besides, I've cut his hair before. Maybe it'll trigger something."

"Is someone there already?"

"Yeah."

"Danielle." Her tone is accusatory.

"Is it really necessary to have someone around at this point?" I whine.

"Do you remember what happened to Rogers?" Her eyes darken. I look down, ashamed that I forgot such an incident. "Do you forget what happened to you? Look, Barnes may be having breakthroughs, but he's still dangerous."

"Natasha, please, I know—"

"Give me some peace of mind and let me accompany you. I won't go in with you, I'll watch from the window like Rogers usually does."

I sigh. "You won't let up, will you?"

She smiles coyly. "What do you think?"

I nudge past her. "Follow me, then."

Natasha and I walk side by side, complete opposites. Our silence is broken by our footsteps along the tile. I'm calm and collected beside her.

"Where have you been lately?" I ask her.

"Around. Not here," she says simply. "I've been sniffing out Hydra remnants in my spare time."

"Seriously?"

"Fury trusted that I could handle it. Agent Barton and I set out on a few missions."

"Just to scout?"

"Not everyone came here initially when the order was made. You and Barnes weren't the only ones. You were our first actual find when searching for Hydra. That's what we've been doing: trying to find whoever's still alive and haven't betrayed us."

"They'd be stupid to," I say.

"People will become so desperate that they'll do anything to stay alive."

"We differ from Hydra there. They'd be ready to die before changing alliances." We turn a corner. "Has anyone worked on Jessabelle lately?"

"We're waiting to see how long solitude takes before it drives her insane."

"Getting information out of an insane person isn't reliable," I say warily.

"We're just waiting for her to say that she wants company. We'll give it to her, all right."

"We aren't going to...torture her, are we?"