7. Wakeup Call

I don't get the chance to enjoy a night's rest, because the door is pounded on, rustling me from sleep. The knocking persists until I open the door.

Bucky has first go at me. He looks a tad bit tired with small bags under his eyes, but his eyes themselves don't show fatigue. If anything, I see excitement. I would be excited too, if my training started at a normal time.

I yawn. "What time is it?" I rub my eyes.

"Your first day of training." He smirks.

I groan. "That definitely didn't answer my question. Couldn't wait until morning?"

"I barely sleep."

"Good to know. Next time I hear knocking in the middle of the night, I'll know to not answer." I scowl. "Why are you tormenting me?"

"What if something bad was happening right now and S.H.I.E.L.D. needed you? Would you be like this?"

"We're already tossing in scenarios? I haven't even left the room." I look over my shoulder to see Vanessa's back towards me. "She's lucky she's a heavy sleeper."

"You mean I'm lucky," Bucky corrects me. "Come on, Danielle. You're not getting anything done standing there."

"You might as well put a leash on me and pull me out, Bucky. I think that's the only way you'll get me to move."

"Oh, no. I'm not giving you an easy way out." He beckons for me to get out of the room.

I sigh groggily and force myself away from the comfort of the bed. I remember my glasses, somehow, in my sleepy state. My eyes squint while adjusting to the light.

I walk alongside Bucky, ready to use him as a crutch should I decide to conk out while walking. I can't help but yawn the longer it takes to reach our destination. I see him steal looks from the corner of his eye to make sure I'm still awake and conscious.

Walking does help to a degree, and I'm a little more awake by the time we're down a level or two, out of the elevator, and in another training room. It's empty, like I expect. There are a few big mats on the ground, so I guess that's where we're training.

I yawn for the fifteenth time, shake my head to try and wake me up further. The door closes behind us, and I'm barely keeping up with Bucky as he walks over to the mats.

"All right, we'll start with some basics to get you warmed up," he says. I blink wearily at him. He offers me a lopsided smile. "Come on, Danielle, you've got to be awake. Damn, I should have a bucket with water the next time I bring you here. Or I could always slap you around a bit."

"A bit violent, aren't we?" I retort, stretching.

"If you attack, I'll fight. Outside of that, I don't hit women," he says modestly. "Now, stretch like you normally would."

"I think once was enough." I roll my neck.

"On the ground, Finley."

"Whoa, hey, bossy."

"I'll act like a drill sergeant if I have to." He doesn't sound like one, but his tone sounds icy enough to be convincing. "I want to see pushups."

"I thought I signed up for agent training, not boot camp," I grumble as I'm in the pushup position. Bucky's right in front of me, my mirror, going as slow as me. My glasses keep sliding down my face the more pushups I do. I realize I can do more than I expect. I don't do them at a fast pace, but I do enough.