46. Field Trip

It was hard to leave the Europe base, especially since I got to know Sharon and Rogers in the duration of my stay. I made sure to say my goodbyes to the few people that I knew at the base, mainly Natasha, Clint, and Agent Hill on top of Sharon and Rogers.

We'd made the arrangements prior to the flight: we were to land back in the States where a car would be waiting for us, our very own. Needless to say the flight from Europe back to the States was a long one. I didn't sleep during the flight unlike Bucky.

Once we make our landing in Washington, D.C., Bucky takes the wheel. With the help of the GPS in our phones, he drives us to our destination.

"This is just a stop," he tells me. "I have a good place for us to stay in."

During the drive, I can assume that it's autumn, since the leaves are all warm reds, oranges, and browns—all the colors that represent the season. People that we see are dressed rather warmly, not surprising with the cooling temperatures.

I tap my fingers against the window beside me, watch the leaves fly past. I steal a look at Bucky, who looks pretty guarded, just like he had in Washington. I gently reach across and touch his arm. "We'll be okay," I murmur. "This is good for us."

Traffic isn't too bad. I notice Bucky isn't heading for my parents' location just yet. He's making different turns, going off our route. I look at him questioningly, he doesn't explain himself.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should be worried. Clint's words ring in my head from before. Did you ever maybe think that taking him with us was a bad idea? Did you think that maybe it's what Hydra wants? My head begins to pound. I push Clint's annoying voice out of my head. That was before I saved Bucky. That was when I had to fight him to help him remember. He's back to his old self, for the most part. Whatever damage Hydra did to him is long gone out of his system.

I turn the GPS off on my phone once I realize Bucky is taking us on a detour. I look around curiously. It isn't until I see the massive building that I begin to get even more confused.

Parking is a pain in the ass, Bucky has to drive around for a few minutes before finding a spot. I look at the pillared building.

"The Smithsonian?" I ask as he cuts the engine off.

"I know this wasn't planned, but I figured you deserved to see it." He shrugs.

"Why?"

"I'll show you. Come on."

We both climb out and head inside. I can't possibly think up as to why Bucky brought me here. It takes a while to get past the entrance, what with the crowds and security measures, but once we're through, Bucky knows where he's going. I'm right at his side, trying not to bump into strangers.

It's not until I see the traditional red, white, and blue that I begin to understand. Bucky's leading me to the Captain America exhibit. But I'm still lost.

"Why are we here?" I ask.

"You'll see." He grabs ahold of my wrist so he doesn't lose me.

The exhibit is full of people of all ages, which isn't surprising. I'm sure Rogers has visited his own exhibit. Hell, I would if I had one in the Smithsonian. It's very detailed, going into the background of how Rogers was constantly denied enlistment due his various health problems and how he had been selected for the program that led up to him becoming the first super soldier in history. I can't help but look at pre-serum Steve Rogers. He was skinnier than I am now. No wonder the army wouldn't take him, on top of all the health issues he had. The comparison is astounding, a huge difference.