14. The Last of Us

We make it to the safe base by sundown. Hydra doesn't pursue us, but Bucky and I know that they won't back down until they find us.

The base, as it turns out, is an underground one. Bucky gives us the access inside. My first impression is that it's empty. The halls are quiet and gloomy, like the clouds over our heads. I keep my attention to the blank walls so I don't focus on my sister.

Bucky must have an idea as to where we're going, I'm following him numbly. Before long, we find other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Those we pass by can't help but linger their eyes on the body in his arms. I swallow, holding back the tears. I don't need to cry yet, not with witnesses.

I swear it's like Bucky has a tracker on some of the agents, because before I know it, I find out Agents Hill, Barton, and Romanoff are all safe, as safe as they can be. They look a bit beat up with a few scratches, but otherwise they're unscathed. They, like agents before them, can't help but stare at Vanessa's limp form.

"Agent Romanoff," Agent Hill says quietly.

"I've got her," she responds just as quietly. She moves past Bucky to take hold of me. "Let's get you in a room."

"But—" I try to plea.

"Danielle." She stares at me with hard green eyes. I sigh heavily.

Reluctantly, I let Agent Romanoff escort me away from Bucky, away from Vanessa. She doesn't let me go, her grip is kind of tight on my arm. She has to be disturbed by my dead sister too. I can't believe that anyone wouldn't be traumatized by seeing a dead body.

I can't imagine how Bucky feels just holding her, someone he knew.

Agent Romanoff leads me down a few turns before she guides me into an empty room. It's windowless as expected since it's underground. There's two cots, not one. My breathing hitches.

"Do you think you'll be okay in here?" she asks gently. I can only nod. "Someone will come by later to check in on you."

"It's not fair," I whisper. "She did nothing wrong. None of us did anything to deserve this!" I look at Agent Romanoff. "What are they going to do with her?"

"We'll keep her in the morgue. We'll figure out something for her." She gingerly rubs one of my shoulders.

As soon as Agent Romanoff leaves, my legs bring me to one of the cots. I collapse onto it and let the tears flow.

* * *

I'm not visited for hours, which gives me plenty of time with my thoughts—a dangerous thing for me right now. My mind jumps between thoughts. The Helicarrier attack. Escaping on the plane. Our plane being shot down. Heading into the woods. Me shooting Vanessa's killer. Them getting away.

My hands grab at my blonde hair, tempted to rip it right off my head. My grieving isn't going to stop for a while. I'm just past phase one: crying. I know what other phases have yet to come, and they terrify me. But I can't help but let them run their courses. I have to. I can't bottle them up.

I jump and look as Bucky lets himself into the room. He's carrying a bundle of clothes, probably a change for me.

"How many?" I whisper hoarsely.

"We don't have many here, only a few hundred or so. Casualty wise, we lost the Helicarrier."

"They sank it?"