24. Sentiment

Smoke. Burning. People barking orders. Familiar voices. Shaggy dark hair. Synchronized breathing.

I almost think I'm back in time, with everything blurring together, until I realize I haven't time travelled. I'm still in 2015, halfway through the year. What I think I'm in is just a memory. But one thing is throwing me off.

I smell smoke.

I sit up immediately to find no one next to me in bed. Panicking, fearing the worst, I jump out of bed in the longest night shirt ever and run down the hall. The bathroom door is open, so either Bucky is in the living room, kitchen, basement, or not in the house. Has Hydra found us? Are they flushing us out?

I'm expecting thick smoke to overtake me, make me hack until I pass out. None of that happens, though I can't get the smell out of my nose. I practically take myself out with the corner as I look frantically into the kitchen and den room.

I groan, exasperated, to find out that my anxiety is all for nothing. The cottage isn't burning down to the ground, though it could very soon if Bucky doesn't put out the fire he just made. He panics, clearly not used to food fires. He takes the pan of whatever it is he was trying to cook and tosses it into the sink. Water pours inside, and I can hear the sizzle as the fire goes out. Bucky grips the counter, sighing in relief.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

He starts, nearly falling down. I take in his appearance. His hair is disheveled and back in a ponytail, and he neglected to put on a shirt this morning. Not that I'm complaining, because what he wore last night is what I've got as a nightgown right now.

"I-I was trying to cook breakfast," he stammers, going red and looking down at the floor.

"More like burn down the cottage." I cross to peek into the sink. Looks like he was trying his luck with bacon this morning. I sigh. "What's the occasion, Buck? You normally settle for cereal or toast."

"I wanted to try and do a little something for you, you know, since we've been together six months."

I turn to him, blue eyes widen. It's June 1st already? We've been together six months? My cheeks heat up. How could I be so ignorant about such a milestone? And I didn't think to plan anything for him. God, what is wrong with me?

"You forgot," he says blankly.

"Bucky, it wasn't on purpose," I whimper. "I'm so sorry!" I grab his hands gently. "Really, honey, I am. The days have blended in a lot lately and time got away from me." Tears well in my eyes. "God, I'm such a terrible girlfriend."

"No, you're not."

"What kind of a girlfriend forgets their six month anniversary?"

"Hey, hey, calm down, Dani," he whispers, pulling me to his bare chest. "I'm not mad at you, honestly I'm not. You're getting yourself worked up over a small thing."

"'Small thing'?" I croak. "Bucky, you've done so much for me. I should feel ashamed of myself for forgetting."

"Hey." He tilts my face up to kiss me tenderly. "It's okay, Dani." His expression falls slightly. "I hate to make you feel worse about yourself, but I got you a little something."

I moan inwardly. He reaches in his back pocket to put a small box in my hands. I automatically know this isn't a proposal, so I'm a little less frightened about what's inside.

I look down at the tiny box.

"Well, you have to open it, Dani," he teases me.