27. So Close

My worst memories want to torment me while I sleep. Though I hadn't seen the murder entirely, I had seen enough to piece together what had happened.

Instead of running off with Bucky, I'm beside Vanessa as she faces off against Jessabelle. Our plane is still smoking from when it had been shot out of the sky. Where Bucky is in this nightmare, I don't know. He probably won't make an appearance.

My Hydra sister remains on the other side of open land, a wide smirk plays on her lips. I watch it happen so fast: both women draw their weapons, Jessabelle takes the only shot.

I watch Vanessa's body fall in slow motion beside me, the bright red hole stands out against her forehead. I draw my own weapon—where it came from, I don't know—and fire at Jessabelle. She's not fast enough to react: the shot hits her square in the chest. She falls like a brick, and I run to her to make sure she's dead.

I loom over Jessabelle, who's got blood dribbling from a corner of her mouth. She's still breathing, which infuriates me. She'll be dead soon enough. The shot was practically fatal. It will be fatal.

Jessabelle's eyes meet mine: icy blue meet dark blue. She's making an awful noise, a mix between a laugh and a cough. I feel an odd sense of satisfaction as I stand over her. I feel empowered, like I can take on all of Hydra now.

I'll feel remorse for not saving Vanessa later. Right now, I bask in the glory of my soon-to-be kill.

"Congratulations," Jessabelle wheezes. She coughs, blood spurts out of her mouth like a geyser, messing her face up more. It takes all the will power in me to hold back my vomit. "You've rediscovered yourself, Danielle. Welcome back."

***

I force myself awake, or rather, my hyperventilating does. I'm shaking in Bucky's arms. This isn't the first dream I've gotten since Jessabelle's abduction that involved the Finley sisters. I've had quite a few of these, and a fair share of daydreams.

I crane my neck to see Bucky sleeping peacefully under me. I hug him and burrow against him. He stirs, I hear the sigh deep in his chest.

"Sleep well?" he croaks.

"Not as well as I should." I purse my lips. "You?"

"Like a baby."

"Lucky you." I slide off him as he sits up against the headboard, throwing his dark hair away from his face. "This is too easy, Bucky." I'm supporting myself with my arms.

"How so?"

"Think. It's been days since we've had her down in the basement. Nobody's come for her yet. They'll be coming soon, they have to be. She's important in Hydra's ranks."

"So today must be moving day."

I nod. "We've got no choice, Bucky. The longer we're here, the quicker it takes for them to track us."

He scratches his head. "I guess this means we better leave now."

"You got it. I'll pack and you get Jessabelle prepped." I peck him on the cheek. "Just be careful with her. She's bound to try something."

"She can try, but she won't get away with it." He pulls me in for a long kiss.

While Bucky goes to deal with Jessabelle, I hop in the shower and change really quick. A low noise rumbles overhead. Thunder. Another storm. Surprise, surprise.