15. Insomniac

I don't see many other fellow S.H.I.E.L.D. agents for the next few days, I confine myself to the room for the most part. Bucky coaxes me out for bathroom breaks or showers, or getting something to eat or drink. I regret asking him to not leave me alone, because I can see it's affecting him slowly. He stays up most nights, making sure I sleep.

I can't escape the nightmares, like my eyes want me to suffer through the replays of Vanessa's death. The bang of the gun. Her body hitting the ground. Me shooting at her killer. Her killer running off like the coward she was.

If I ever found her again, I'd put a bullet through her head.

I'm up in the most unruly hour of the night. I peek over to see Bucky has conked out. I smile in the dark. He's too loyal for his own good sometimes. Silently, so as to not wake him, I tiptoe out of our room. I've done this before, this isn't my first venture outside of our room.

It's something to do other than worry about what sleep will bring me.

I nonchalantly walk down the cold halls, rubbing my arms for warmth. I know where I want to head: I've been gathering hints from the previous days. I haven't seen her since she was killed. I know it'll kill me inside to see her corpse, but I have to. I feel like it'll help me, in some weird way.

I pass a fellow agent or two, who give me odd looks. I have a good reason to be up this late at night. What's theirs?

I round a corner and accidentally bump into a solid black figure. I stumble back, support myself against the nearest wall. I've never see this man before—I think I would remember someone who bears an eye patch. His presence alone scares me, I avoid all eye contact.

"Lost, Ms. Finley?"

I pick my eyes up at the sound of my name. Despite sounding a bit gruff, his voice is soft. Like he's treating me as though I'm fragile. "How do you know me?" I dare to ask.

"I've asked around. You don't know me, do you?"

"Not at all, sir." I clear my throat.

"Director Nick Fury." He holds a hand out for me, I gingerly shake it.

"How come I haven't heard of you before?"

"There's been good reason. What are you doing out so late at night?"

"I can't sleep." It's not a lie.

"Understandable. From what I've heard about, you haven't had it easy."

"No, sir." I yawn. "But have any of us ever had it easy?"

"Really, Ms. Finley, why are you wandering the halls at this time?"

"I told you, I can't sleep."

"It's more than that." He narrows his eye at me, I try not to look weirded out. "I'm asking out of curiosity."

"Well, you must know of the Helicarrier incident. My sister didn't make it here alive." I feel a lump form in the middle of my throat. "I figured since I can't sleep I might as well say goodbye to her. I never got to when we were running."

Fury only nods once in understanding. "Your sister was highly respected here with us."

"I'm sure she was." I smile timidly. "So, you're not skeptical of me, Director?"

"Should I be?"

"Surely by now you've heard that people think I'm faking the amnesia." I cross my arms over my chest.