16. Information Session

She failed to mention your other sister.

I look at Bucky as though he's growing an extra head right now. That doesn't sound right. A third Finley sister?

"Other sister?" I scoff. "That's rich."

Bucky looks at me with narrowed blue eyes. "You want to know why you went to Hydra in the first place? Vanessa didn't push you in that direction; she wanted the best for you. Your other sister got to you first."

This sounds a bit too bizarre. "Did Vanessa tell you this?"

"Partially. I knew of her during my time with Hydra."

There it is again: Hydra. Where I worked formerly. Where Bucky worked formerly. And now supposedly where a sudden other Finley sister worked. I'm seriously wondering if my parents are now retired agents of either organization. It's totally possible, considering two Finleys have been roped into one side or the other.

"So this other sister you claim I have was part of Hydra?" I ask skeptically. Maybe she's gone. I'd rather not ever encounter a blood relative who belongs to the scum I once belonged to.

"Is, Danielle. She's not dead."

"Prove it." Even though I trust Bucky, I can't trust his words right now.

"I will, but that means you've got to leave her now."

I feel his cold hand grab mine. I don't pull away, I don't fight back. I let him comfort me in his own way as I try to burn my sister's appearance into my mind. I want to, only because if—more like when—I face Hydra scum again, I want Vanessa to be the fuel that makes me fight against them.

When Bucky starts to pull me away, I don't fight him. I make sure to grab my glasses before I forget them here in the morgue. He gingerly leads me further away from Vanessa, the apparent good sister of the Finley family. I look back once or twice at her before I can't anymore.

Bucky doesn't let go of my hand, and I don't let go of his. He's the only thing propelling me forward right now, I'm running on lack of sleep. I won't be surprised if I conk out during this. Intrigue is the only thing barely keeping me awake on top of the cold air and Bucky.

He takes me back to the elevator, and we both stand in silence as it ascends. I lean against him, close my eyes for a moment. He stands still beside me, like if he moves, it'll wake me.

"You're not tricking me back into our room, are you?" I ask sleepily, holding back a yawn.

"No, I can't lie about something like this," he murmurs. "I'll try and make it quick so you can actually try to sleep."

"What if I don't want to?"

"Dani, you can fight sleep all you want, but it'll beat you in the end."

The elevator opens up, and Bucky tugs me out into the halls. We still walk hand in hand, it isn't bothering either of us. My cheeks grow warm.

Bucky locates one of the rooms, and we make our way inside. It doesn't feel like we've left the Helicarrier: the room has various monitors, making me think of my dreams where I heard and saw bits and pieces of the ambush.

We're met with a few familiar faces: Agents Romanoff, Hill, Barton, and Director Fury. It looks like we're not the only night owls tonight.

They all turn at our entrance, one looks down at the intertwined hands but doesn't say a word about it.