There's Only One Moon

Later that night, I heard someone calling me from outside my window.

“Hoseok!? What are you doing up there”? I asked as I looked up to see him sitting on the roof.

“Come up here with me. The view is beautiful”. He said.

I climbed up onto the roof and lied beside him. Together, just the 2 of us, gazing into the night sky.

“Wow you’re right. The view is beautiful. But, I’m just not in the mood to be impressed by such a thing”. I mumbled. He looked at me in concern.

“Is everything okay? You sound so sad”.

“The truth is that I’m worried about all of you guys leaving in a few months. I’m really gonna miss all the times we spent together. Thinking about it makes me so sad. I don’t want to be alone again. Everyday is just so fun and enjoyable”. I admitted. He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed my forehead.

“Don’t worry about that. There’s so much time left until then. We still have so many more memories to make”. He said trying to comfort me.

“I guess you’re right. Still, I’m gonna miss you guys when you do leave”. I replied. J-Hope pointed to the moon.

“You see that. There’s only one of those in the whole world”.

“The moon”?

“Yup. No matter what country you’re in, if you look up at the moon, the same one can be seen anywhere else in the world. The moon is always in one place”.

“And? What does that have to do with me missing everyone”?

“My mother always told me a story about the moon when I was younger. Do you want to hear it”? He offered. I nodded and got settled into his arms.

“There was once a teenage girl, she really loved a boy and he loved her back. They spent so much time together, enjoying every moment to the fullest. They eventually became boyfriend and girlfriend. But one day, the girl’s parents found the perfect house and they had settled on the idea to move out. The house was hours away and the girl would never be able to see her boyfriend again. She couldn’t do anything about it, what was done was done. Before she left, her boyfriend told her to look at the moon every night. She was just as clueless as you are as to why she had to look at the moon. When she asked him why, he simply told her: Whenever the moon comes out, just look at it and remember that I am under the very moon you’re looking at. We’re still together no matter where we are, it’s the moon that keeps us connected over such a far distance. When she finally moved away, she did as he said. It made her feel a lot better to know that her lover was still there. And eventually, they were reunited and continued to love each other. But when he wasn’t around, she still remembered to look at the moon and felt as if he was still there”. Hearing his story made me feel a lot better.

“That was a really good story. Thank you, I feel a lot better now. But what about the sun? There’s only one sun too”.

“Yeah..but I don’t want my Jagiya to go blind from looking straight into the sun”. He laughed as he ruffled my hair. I laughed as well once I realized how stupid that sounded. Other than that, Hopie was right, there is only one moon, only one moon that can keep us together.

We continued to laugh and talk up on the roof until we became tired. After heading back inside, J-Hope rushed downstairs and flopped onto the couch to join the others who were watching TV. I watched from the top of the staircase to get a good look at all of them smiling and huddled together peacefully: J-Hope, Jimin, Rap Monster, V, Suga, Jin, and Jungkook. A tear trickled down my face.

“It won’t be the same when they’re gone”.