Carpool

As promised, Principal Davis had the paperwork ready for me by lunch on Friday. May stopped and signed them before staying and talking a while. Her and I got along very well and made plans to go for brunch that Sunday.

     May thanked me a hundred times for helping her with Peter, even though I'd said it was fine more than enough times. I just wanted to help them. May had been raising Peter on her own since her husband died a few years ago. She was doing her best, but I could tell it was hard for her.

Beside going with May for coffee, my weekend was packed. I had to catch up on training I missed during the week with Wanda. She was still very much mentally kicking my ass. My mind abilities were strong, but chaotic and all over the place. Getting all of that energy to focus on a single task, like shielding my mind, felt almost impossible. It felt like a one step forward, two steps back situation.

After training, I'd work with Tony. We were putting the finishing touches on the lenses. They were about ninety-five percent complete. I would only spend about two hours in the lab with him. I couldn't afford to take longer, I had lessons to plan and alter. I barely made time for food or sleep during the weekend.

By the time Monday rolled around, I was running out the door. I had forgotten that Loki and I had to leave earlier to pick Peter up. I made sure to grab an apple before grabbing my keys and leaving with Loki. I was excited for him to meet Peter. He had seen him around the school and kept an eye on him, but they hadn't met officially.

I pulled up to Peters building at seven-thirty AM. I turned the car off and sat in the silence for a moment after the soft music cut off.

"Ready?" I asked Loki with a smile. Loki chuckled at my enthusiasm and nodded at me. "Let's go get my favorite ball of sunshine." I told him before turning to get out of the vehicle. Loki followed me and we both walked up to the apartment building.

I had texted May that we were here and coming up the elevator. I wanted to come to the apartment to let Peter and Loki meet before throwing them in a car together. I raised my hand and knocked on their apartment door. It opened after a few seconds of muffled voices and scrambling. I smiled at May when she opened the door to let us in.

"Mornin' " I laughed at seeing her flustered state. "Did we come at a bad time?" I asked. May smiled and shook her head.

"Not at all, just trying to get a teenage boy out of the house." She told us and closed the door after we were in the apartment. It looked exactly how it did in the movies. "Peter's almost ready. He's been a bit nervous since I told him you'd be taking him to school."

"Oh? Does he not want me to take him?" I asked. I didn't even consider that he might be embarrassed to have a teacher driving him to and from school.

"No, that's not it." May said with a laugh and she lowered her voice to a whisper, coming closer to me. "I think he has a bit of a crush on you."

"Makes two of us." Loki added to the conversation. May looked behind me at him and smiled brightly.

"You must be the amazing husband Sarah wouldn't stop talking about." May said and held her hand out to him. "I'm May, Peter's aunt."

"Liam, pleasure to meet you, May." Loki greeted her, shaking her hand. "I've heard a lot about your nephew."

"Good things, I hope. Though, Peter has always been a great kid."

"What about me?" I heard Peter say as he walked into the living room. When he saw me, I saw his cheeks dusk with a light pink. "Good morning, Mrs. Smith." Peter said with a shy smile before looking at Loki.

"Morning, Peter. This is my Husband, Liam. He works security at the school." I told him. Peter looked Loki up and down before nodding.

"I've seen you walking the halls." Peter gave him a small wave. "It's really nice to meet you, Mr. Smith."

"It is lovely to meet you, Peter. I've heard a lot about you." Loki told the kid. Peter's cheeks darkened in color as he became flustered.

"Y-you have?"

"Believe it or not, Mrs. Smith does have favorites." Loki chuckled when I smacked his arm.

"I do not!" I protested. It was a complete lie, I totally did have favorites. But, I had favorites based on different things. Every student was my favorite in something, even the trouble makers. They tended to actually be pretty funny. Loki mouthed the word 'lies' to Peter who hid a small laugh behind his hand. "Alright, now that introductions are out of the way, we need to get going." I sighed. "You ready, Peter?"

"Y-yep, uh-huh." He rushed out, stumbling over his words a bit.

We made our way outside and to the car. Peter got into the backseat as I got into the drivers seat. I turned the music down a bit, so I could hear and talk to Peter.

"So, I hope you're ok with stay after school for a bit. You can stay in my classroom with me and do your homework while I finish preparing for the next day. It should only take an hour to an hour and a half." I told Peter. He hummed before meeting my eyes in the rear view mirror.

"Oh, ya, that's fine with me. Thank you again for driving me." Peter said. I waved off his thanks as we pulled up to the school.

"Don't mention it, kid. I'm here to help, not just for biology. If you need help with anything, schoolwork, or otherwise, don't hesitate to ask. You're not a burden." I made sure to tell him, and I meant it. Not just for Peter, but every one of my students. I wanted them to trust me enough to come to me for help. I knew that the year just started, so it was too soon for that, but I could still hope. "Alright," I sighed when we were parked, "get to the cafeteria with the other kids."

"Yes, Ma'am. Thank you for the ride!" Peter said as he ran off. I smiled fondly at him as he stumbled over the curb.

"He's a good kid." Loki hummed and pulled me to his side, kissing the side of my head. "I see the appeal and am fully content with not being your favorite." He said, making me laugh and look up at him.

"Good," I stood on my tiptoes to press a kiss to his lips, "because I'd use you as a living shield to protect that child." I teased.

Yes, that was a Ryan Reynolds reference...