Chapter 22

To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance. ~ Buddha

Chapter 22

Nirvana

"Yep just as creepy as I thought it would be." Daniel states as he examines the portrait from an angle. True to its word the Mona Lisa seems to perpetually follow you with her eyes no matter what direction or angle you turn, and even I have to admit it's a little unsettling.

We've finally gotten to see what most people only see in photos. The famous Mona Lisa. I got in for free since "I'm under eighteen" but Daniel had to fork over 16 euros, but I think the money is well worth it to see all this art. I feel like a sophisticated aristocrat who goes to art galleries on a regular basis and says thing like, "Love how the light contrasts the piece beautifully symbolizing the meaning of the universe, dah-ling. Or "Exquisite piece. Exquisite." While sipping sparkling wine from pristine glasses and stuffing my faces with hors d'oeuvres.

"Yeah." I admit. "It is just a little creepy."

"And why doesn't she have any eyebrows? What's up with that? And that weird smirk on her face..." He continues.

"Yeah but she's beautiful don't you think? In an elegant and mysterious sort of way." I state as I continue looking at her. I feel like her facial expressions convey, she knows a secret that know one else knows. A secret she'll never tell anyone, and go to her grave with. I wonder what that secret is.

Daniel just gazes at me quizzically an amused gaze in his eyes. "In a way. Beauty standards were different back then so she was probably a Beyoncé in her time."

Ok not what I meant, but I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

"So did you enjoy the tour?" Daniels questions after a while, as he continues gazing at the Mona Lisa.

"Yeah. I did." Before we viewed the Mona Lisa we took an art gallery tour that showed us the countless arts and exhibits the museum holds. I feel like I've just traveled through time with the Roman and Greek era paintings depicting wars, and battles, and statues of men wearing nothing but long white robes and strappy sandals eating grapes dramatically, to 12th century England with countless portraits of Queen Elizabeth's and Henries one through thirty. Surely there's not that many king Henry's but it sure felt like it.

"It was really interesting to say the least." I continue. I wish I could capture a picture of this moment but sadly like most museums cameras and photos aren't allowed to the public.

Daniel takes his phone out his pocket and checks the time. "It's a little after 3:00 if we still want to go to Parc Asterix and the Buddhist temple and make the 8:00 bus back to Picardy we have to leave soon. Are you ready to go?"

I survey the Mona Lisa one last time, and I swear I see her eyes twinkle with amusement as she stares back at me.

***

We have to take a bus drive to the outskirts of Paris to get to the Parc but the Eiffel tower is still very visible from where we are, just like the blue expansion of sky, the green grass, and the gray roads and pavements beneath us.

The bus roars to a stop after twenty minutes and we mill out along with all the squealing excited kids and their weary, tired parents. Even I have to let out a small squeal when I see the tall roller coasters and rides. The parents give me annoyed "you're too old for that" glares which I make a point of ignoring. I haven't been to an amusement park since I was ten, since my parents got too caught up in their work and Zephyrs numerous accomplishments to be bothered with it.