𝟷𝟼. 𝙼𝚊𝚍𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚘𝚗 𝙼𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚝

A/N

Already working on next chapter dw. But the revolution arc will be closing soon :)

ت

Night, Eret

As the cold night settled in for slumber, Eret paced his gilded halls. Never had she seen such a polarizing event–such a assassination gone wrong. He felt for them sure, but never quite acted upon it other than the small gifts he would leave in the woods where he expected the exiled lived near.

Though Eret's friendship was strained he never wanted anyone to get hurt. Especially y/n, those nights spent huddled up with stolen popcorn–her running away from Wilbur's watch even just for an hour.

Eret kept those memories close. He blocked out the horror struck face of y/n when he had pushed the button to damn them all. His stomach never failed to churn when he thought of her young face splattered in blood, the rare open smile turning blank and cold.

In a quick decision he stormed for the throne room. This was ridiculous. They needed to focus on the more important matters at hand. Schlatt was opening his borders and threatening to expand, y/n was little of his worries, as was his past exiled friends.

Swinging open the double doors, he stopped for a moment and took the room in. But was it worth it? They had already been trying to help the exiled; they wanted to walk to y/n many days ago–to help her in whatever she seemed to be going through. That day seemed years past now. All that was left was a shiny throne and polished marble floors. Eret had watched her go up there. He had watched as Schlatt called up Technoblade, watched as The President announced that the girl had defied him in the slaughter of her friends.

Of Eret's friends.

When they went to her house–did she already have the order... Was that why she was so distressed? Her hair was in disarray, clock looking lopsided in her haste to put it on.

Was she having nightmares?

Eret thought back to their earlier years. She used to have them all the time. She confided them. She told him of the locked door, the keys always disappearing and out of reach. She told him of locking up–immobile and for the taking. She told them she felt trapped.

And now Eret realized he didn't do anything about it. He only listened, only listened and spoke on his own problems. 'Nikki was pestering him about getting more sugar' or 'Tommy kept giving him the side eye, and he thought that he didn't like him all that much.'

Eret mentally turned back that clock and saw y/n's shoulders sag at their dismissal, and look away with all but contained tears. She would gather herself though. That's why now they understood why they had not noticed. Never would she let her face go blank of emotion in training or their nightly meetups, not as it was now.

She should have been there for her.

But now she was dead.

A knock sounded on the room's door. The door that led out into the hall and out of the manor. Eret swallowed, fixing his crown of his head not to be off center, and followed the sound, the throne now behind him. She opened the door slightly too meet a favorite guard of his. The young boy blinked fast his eyes adjusting to the brighter room.

His voice was a quiet rasp and a small whisper of fright. "D-Dream calls to be let in, he did not specify the matter your majesty."

Eret stiffened. The palace didn't allow visitors this late. "Where is he?" They asked.