𝟷𝟾. 𝙱𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚠𝚗

A/N

everyone is missing the chapter before this it's a 2 chapter update smh 🧍🏻‍♀️ go check if u read it

ت

Tommy had punched Fundy the moment he saw him.

It was a funny match to see. A fox and a raging child, one with no armor the other grappling with his fists in netherite once more.

That being said it didn't last long.

Wilbur pulled them apart before it got too bloody, and explained their placement in Pogtopia's newfound ranks. Tommy was foolish to throw a hissy fit my my expert opinion. We barely had enough surprise as it was so much as man power.

We had spent the night standing hunched over the battle table pouring over maps and tactics. Fundy wanted to split up, Tommy wanted to stay united, and Nikki wanted to go in pairs. I had leaned on the pillars behind the chaos and let them argue. Quite honestly I would do what they needed me to. I hadn't had a chance to prove myself in ages. War had been far behind us when the election was announced, but now it was almost if I could smell blood in the air, thick and metallic.

The final consensus on supplies was that we hadn't had much time. Wilbur finally ordered Quackity and Fundy to go and retrieve their things in the cover of night, and take whatever they could from open chests. Eret also advocated to go as well, but Techno brought up that he would be spotted much more easily, and he already brought enough with his jewels that could be used in additional enchants.

Quackity and Fundy promised to be back before dawn, and without much work done, we collectively decided that sleep may be better than this ruckus. It hadn't occurred to me until then I had no place to sleep since now I was uninjured and Techno would most likely want his room back.

Quickly and quietly while we were dispersing for our rooms, I pulled him to the side in a secluded hallway.

"What are you-"

I coughed unsteadily. "Sorry where will I be sleeping? Its just- I don't know where you did last night and I'm in better health now so I just-"

"You pulled me into a dark corridor..." He panned. "Acting all secret like... To ask me If you can keep sleeping in my bed."

I flushed.

Shit.

"No I didn't."

He tilted his head looking up and down the hallway and back to me, "Sure."

I face palmed, my menacing demeanor gone. Pinching the bridge of my nose I looked up to him again. "Yes or no Techno?"

"For what?" He smiled a little.

I threw my hands up. "You know what I will sleep on the streets-"

"You can have my bed y/n." He bit his cheek in a lopsided grin. "Just for a favor."

I hated him.

"Goodbye, Farewell, Adios!" I called, walking towards the fields of grasses in the farm. There would be enough cushion there, I've slept in worse. "Have your little room I don't need it."

"Oh yeah?"

"Mhm-" Footsteps picked up behind me and I contained a yelp. Techno had walked over to me and flung me across his back, his cloak's fur brushing my cheek. My heart thundered, those traitorous fucking butterflies. I wanted to stab them all.

"I'm not a sack of potatoes you can't just fling me across your shoulder!" I looked around from my vantage suddenly going dizzy. Everyone had retired to their rooms, only leaving us in the ravine.

Techno started going up the stairs to his room, each step my body pulling closer where I stretched away. My hands shook a little and clamped them down. "Shush you will wake everyone else." He said

My eyes rolled and I picked up my squirming, but he only held tighter. I clenched my jaw trying to regain my composure. "Let me down Techno."

"No." He reached the top of the stairs and opened the door to his room. Familiar sent rushed too me and I forced myself to look for defense tools. before I could spot any, he gently pulled me forward to lay on his bed.

I snapped up and slid my knife out of my boot, placing it before his neck. "What are you doing?" I asked, hands shaking a bit.

Techno deadpanned once more, placing his hand over my own to lower the dagger. "Your sleeping here, I'm guarding the door."

The thought of him near me sleeping made me queasy for some reason. "I don't need guarding I'll just-"

"Lay down."

My eyes narrowed. "I'm also not a dog, asshole."

His eyes bored into mine. "Agreed. Now lay and sleep, call out if you need anything."

The dagger had long been dropped, and I carefully sheathed it back into my boot. My jaw locked as he stepped away from me, grabbing the back of a creaky chair and pulling it to the door.

This was very odd. I felt odd.

"Why?"

He stopped, but didn't look back to me. "I keep long term investments y/n, and you're my most valued one."

So simply said, no tone used or body language shown. His heartrate didn't even change. Techno finished his steps to the door, pulling the chair out and setting it before it to keep watch. I watched that door for a long time, expecting him to jump out or sneak back in to... to do something. But he didn't. Neither did he sleep, his heart beat even and steady.

I reluctantly leaned into the pillows wondering if he could hear mine as well, and if he was focusing on it now as I was his. Pulling my legs to my frame and dagger to my chest, I drew myself to sleep with a steady beat of a living lullaby.

ت

A/N

Okay thoughts? before this finale chapter coming out soon, it's not the end, only an arc of the book.