22

Claude, Oriella, and Jennette sat on a long sofa while Arius and Madame Halsey sat on the one across from them. Ijekiel sitting at the side.

"I don't where you came from and I don't have the energy to care. But I acknowledge that you are part of the royal family and deserve to be treated as one. Thank you Madame Halsey for bringing him." Claude said. He then glared at Arius before he continued, "But if you dare cause trouble to Oriella I will bot hesitate to punish you"

"Grandpa! I think we would get along well, I'm sure of it!" Oriella said as she grasped Claude's sleeve.

The emperor felt familiar with this newly introduced prince. He looked familiar. If only Claude could jog his memory a little, if not for his increasing headache.

"May I ask a question?" Jennette voiced out her thoughts. "Do you...not know who you're parents are?"

"I don't." Arius lied.

"Then, how did you hide your eyes? Or how were you not even aware of it?"

"They say my eyes have always been a simple blue. It's a mystery that I cannot explain either. Forgive me Your Highness"

"Ah..! No, no, it's not your fault. We will make sure you feel comfortable in the palace. Welcome, Arius." Jennette smiled.

.....................................................................

"Hey, how's it going?" Oriella asked Arius. This is Oriella's first visit to Arius' palace.

"I'm good. Sapphire Palace ain't that bad. Though it's much smaller compared to yours, I'm grateful." Arius leaned in seat. Oriella did an eye roll and sip her tea.

"By the way, how did Chris become your personal knight anyway? I thought he was just some ordinary knight guarding random places," Arius glanced behind her. Chris smiled proudly, glad Arius asked. "I went up the ranks after I saved the princess from an accident," he boasted.

"Let me guess. Did you trip and almost fell face flat on a thorny bush? Or did you almost drown trying to feed ducks food in the lake?" Arius said, face bored.

Oriella's cheek reddened. How can he guess? Well she did inherit her mother's clumsiness.

"Ahem, um, let's just continue our previous discussion!" her face faded into a lighter shade of red. "Hope you are adapting well here. There are many rumours and questions about you but since this kind of thing happened before, most are not too concerned.

Today at dinner I will tell my family my decision. I'm gonna create a little fuss, to make it a tad bit more believable you know?"

Arius nodded while Chris listened in silence. To other's eyes, they are getting along splendidly but they were in fact discussing matters involving the fate of the empire, the death or survival of it.

........................................................................

Dinnertime came. The royal family entered the dining room one by one. They sat at the table with Claude at the head, Jennette and Ijekiel next each other, and Oriella beside Arius.

"You've been here for two weeks already. Is there anything that makes you uncomfortable?" Jennette asked Arius.

"No, Your Highness. I enjoy everything so far." He replied smiling.

Dinner was served immediately after he finished his sentence. Everyone ate in silence until Oriella put her fork down, receiving the attention of everyone present.

"Grandpa, mother, father." She address.

"What is it Ella?" Her mother said. "What's wrong?" Her father said after.

"I'm next in line to the throne right? After mother and father." Oriella asked nervously.

"Yes, you are..."

Oriella calmed herself down before confidently opening her mouth, "I -" she was cut off by her grandfather. "Are you feeling insecure with the arrival of this boy? Let me tell you, you are most definitely the heir and no one else can say otherwise!" Claude glared.

"No! In fact, I feel very relieved with his arrival! Because then he can take my place as heir" Oriella shot back.

Jennette unconsciously drop her fork, in which a maid skillfully picked it up without being noticed. Arius made sure to control his expression to look as shocked. Ijekiel stared at his daughter in disbelief. She was trained and educated all her life to lead the empire.

"Oriella... Are you sure of this?" Claude asked.
"Definitely."
"If you don't want to do it then you don't have to." Claude said nonchalantly. Oriella's face lit up with a bright smile.

"W-wait! Father is this okay?" Jennette asked.
"She doesn't want to. We can't force her." Claude answered.
"Ah... Okay.... I guess..."
"I've finished eating" Claude got up from his seat and went out.

There was a moment of silence after.

"Oh! Ah... Ahem.... Arius, um, are you okay?" Jennette asked him.

"I'm fine, just a little shocked. That's all. Pardon me for asking, does this mean I'm next in line?" Arius made sure to be cautious and straightforward at the same time.

"I suppose so" Jennette said. She didn't particularly mind. He is part of the bloodline and her daughter doesn't want the life of a ruler. She will do her best during her own reign and hope the same with Arius.

Oriella made slight eye contact with Arius. Her eyes glint with excitement.

The third step is done.

........................................................................

Hi. Bye.
Vote and comment.