34

"Lucas," Athy said, "Heal him please?"

Lucas gave an annoyed look ready to argue but changed his mind when his wife glared. Anastacius woke up coughing after the magician healed him.

"I was supposed to marry your birth mother. A political agreement. But she wanted more than an outcast prince like me." Claude started. "Whatever I'm going to tell you, I hope you take it in well. At first I thought to let him tell you himself," he gestured to his brother. "But it doesn't look like he will. And that's not fair. Jennette, you were an experiment. You were just a specimen in his messed up experiment with black magic. Some wouldn't consider you human, Jennette. You and I were never related as father and daughter. I'm sorry if this came out harsh."

Jennette stared with blank eyes, unmoving. Tears began to well up as she processes the information.

"You were. I never knew the joy of having a child, before you. It made me strangely giddy. I love you, my daughter, Jennette." Anastacius said in a hoarse voice. He put his hand on top of hers.

"How did you know?" Lucas asked Claude. "How did you know that she was an experiment?"
"I found out before....but that curse messed up my mind."
"Curse?"
"Black magic experiment. Of course there's a curse,"

Lucas gritted his teeth. "So you're saying you abandoned your real child for a fake because of a damn curse?"
Claude didn't answer. But everyone knew that was true.

"You're sick."

"I don't think it's just one curse." Attheia spoke up. Everyone faced her. "I found traces of black magic from another source when I was healing him." She looked at Claude straight in the eye. "You used it on yourself to forget her, didn't you?"

"She was the light of my life. Seeing that child, who looked so much like her, broke my heart even more. I... couldn't help it ....and blamed my child for Diana's death." Claude said slowly. "I should've been stronger. Instead, I wallowed in self pity and made mistakes that I can't erase."

Athy stared at her so-called father. To think a high and mighty man would have a weakness like that. Nobody's perfect after all.

"How about we continue family talk later. Aeternitas might be dead but his army isn't." Attheia brought their attention to more alarming matters.

"Evacuate the palace staff now!" Athy shouted.
"Done!" Lucy popped up.
"Lucy, I told you it's dangerous here!" Lucas scolded.
"But I was so bored and you guys left me to do something more exciting." She pouted.
"Well, she's in the plan now." Arius said. "Lucy did evacuate everyone safely. Good job, buddy." He ruffled her hair.

Lucy smiled in triumph. Her parents sighed and let her do what she wants.
"So how do we deal with that."

"I have an idea. Make me look dead. I mean, fake kill me in front of the whole army." Anastacius said. "Technically I was the one who gathered them. If they see me dead, it might break their resolve."

"May I do the honours?" Lucas smiled slyly. Athy smacked him.
"I'll do it." Claude spoke up. "Think of it as revenge for being a shitty brother."

Nobody dared to object. It was befitting anyway. The emperor saved the empire by killing his brother, again.

With Lucas's magic, they were transported on the large balcony where everyone could see them.

Okay now imagine there was an epic fight because I do not know how to write those clearly and also I am extremely lazy right now. So please imagine however you like.

The important thing is that Claude 'stabbed' Anastacius repeatedly to demonstrate his confirmed death. The former was not amused of course.

"Attack!" Felix shouted to his troops. Another battle commenced and the enemies retreated due to having too many casualties. Of course, Lucas had a hand in this. Obelia won, that's all that matters.