Chapter 22

Melina's pov-

When we finally arrived home River was asleep in the backseat, I walked out of the car and opened his door.

" River, it's time to wake up." I whispered as I gently rubbed his back, he slowly stirred and let out a small whine. I realized it was pointless to try and wake him up, so I unbuckled him and picked up his small, frail body. Jesus, he's so light, he's definitely underweight and he's covered in bruises.

I walked up the steps and into the house, I looked around and the lights were out, it looked like everyone was asleep. I slowly crept up the stairs with River passed out in my arms, and as soon as I reached my room Max's door flew open.

When the door crashed into the wall River's head sprung up as he looked around fearfully as tears formed in his eyes.

" No no no, it's okay, it's just my brother." I said as I rubbed his back soothingly.

River looked at Max with wide, fearful eyes, " Sorry." Max said sheepishly as he walked towards us. Once Max started walking towards us, River started squirming in my arms trying to distance himself from Max.

Max stopped in his tracks once he saw how River was reacting to him, " He's not going to hurt you I promise." I said as I set him down, he quickly situated himself between my legs.

Max squatted down to his level, " Hey bud, my name's Max, what's your name?" he said in a friendly tone, River just hugged my right leg and hid behind it.

" Он застенчивый." - " He's shy." Max stated.

" Я знаю, он как бы напоминает мне, какими мы были раньше." - " I know, he kind of reminds me of how we used to be." I said.

" Вот о чем я думал." - " That's what I was thinking." Max said as he stood up to face me.

" You okay?" Max asked as he looked at me.

" Yeah." I replied quietly.

" You can tell me the truth, come on Melly." he urged as he walked closer to me to pull me into a hug, when he did I felt River tugging on my leg trying to pull me away from him.

" I'm not gonna hurt her bud, or you." he said reassuringly.

River simply looked up at me and made grabby hands, I picked him up and rested him on my hip, " He seems pretty attached to you." Max said as he studied River's behavior.

" I don't think so, I think it's just because he feels more comfortable around women." I replied.

I felt a light tug on my hair, I directed my attention to River who was now sleepily rubbing his eyes, " Are you tired?" I asked quietly, he nodded.

" Can I come too?" Max asked with a smile on his face, River simply buried his face into my chest, avoiding eye contact with Max.

I walked into my room and tried to set River down but he latched his arms around my neck and let out a small whimper. " It's okay, I just need to get changed, okay?" I said as I tried to set him down again but he simply tightened his hold on me.

" Max, can you grab me some clothes please?" I said as I sat down with River, " And grab a t-shirt or something for River, please." I added as Max made his way into my closet.

He came back with a pair of black sweat pants and a black long sleeve for me and an oversized t-shirt of mine along with a pair of pj pants for River.

" Hey buddy, I know you don't want to let go of me but we need to get cleaned up, okay? I'm gonna show you where the shower is, do you think you'll be okay taking a shower?" I asked, I wasn't sure if he was old enough to bathe by himself, I don't really know much about kids.