Chapter 23

Melina's pov-

I searched all day yesterday trying to find relatives of River's, unfortunately he doesn't have any, neither one of his parents had any siblings and his grandparents were dead. I'm supposed to be getting ready for a hike with my cousins right now but River is currently asleep on top of me and I don't want to wake him.

"Melina, are you almost ready?" Max asked as he walked into my room, I brought my finger up to my lips and quietly shushed him, he quickly noticed the sleeping child.

" How long has he been asleep?" Max whispered as he walked closer to us.

" Around two hours." I answered.

" We have to be at the trail in an hour and it's a forty five minute drive. Are you bringing River with us?" Max asked.

" I don't think I have a choice, he'd have a panic attack if I left him here with the others." I said with a small sigh as I looked at the small boy laying on my chest.

" He's pretty attached to you, what're we going to do with him, put him up for adoption?"

" I don't know." I answered truthfully, I mean a part of me wants to keep him, but the other part knows it's better if we find him a safe home, one where he wouldn't constantly be in danger.

" We have to make a doctor's appointment, I don't know the full extent of his injuries and I think he's underweight." I said, Max nodded in agreement.

" We should also take him shopping for clothes." Max added in.

" Yeah and some toys or something."

" Do you think we should set up a bedroom for him? Maybe we could set one up at our place and let him stay with Theo and the others." Max suggested.

" Do you think that'd work? He seems to be pretty uncomfortable around men, I don't think sending him to live with three men is the best idea."

" You're right." he said as he sat down at the foot of the bed.

" You have to get ready, want me to take him?" Max asked as he gestured to River.

I felt somewhat conflicted, I had to get ready but I didn't want to move River. I also knew giving him to Max probably wasn't the best idea, I didn't want him to wake up and freak out.

" No, it's okay. I'm going to wake him up and have him get ready for the hike. You washed his clothes right?" I asked.

" Yeah, they're in your closet." he replied.

" Thanks." I said with a smile, which he returned.

" River, you have to get up, bud." I whispered gently as I lightly shook him.

" Mmmm." he quietly whined before snuggling into me, I let out a small laugh as I gently rubbed his back, urging him to wake up.

" Buddy, we're gonna go for a walk, and if you want we can go for ice cream after." Max attempts to bribe River to wake up.

River's head perked up at the mention of ice cream, " Ice cream?" he asked as he looked at me.

" Yeah, if you want, but that means you have to get up." I said while laughing as I watched him contemplate his options, after a few seconds he rolled off of me with a huff.

" Your clothes are in my closet, go get dressed kiddo." I said as I picked him up and set him on the floor, River ran past Max and into my closet.

" You okay?" Max asked as he looked at me, I had dark circles under my eyes and I have lost weight over the past couple of weeks.