Alevin. Chasing Puddles

Josh, our lead singer, is an INFP. thought it would be nice right here, idk tho...
this song is a particular favorite of mine; it really conveys the awesomeness of God. it's hauntingly, gloriously beautiful. can't go wrong with headphones, just say'n. max volume is just pure fire

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

With the avoidance tactic in full swing, Adrian hasn't seen Daffodil since last Friday; dodging her greetings, letting Levi take care of her, asking Kimmy for a ten-minute break, the plan's success is kind of unbelievable. Despite the fact that she's been coming every day they are open, the eye-contact has decreased considerably as well.

Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, they will become nothing more than acquaintances in no time.

At least, that was what Adrian thought... till now. A realization occurs as he notices the immediate difference of Daffodil's schedule. The longer he avoids the waffle-addict, the more often she visits the diner.

This tactic might be back-firing. But there's no going back now. He's already too far along with the avoidance attempts. He can't just quit while he's ahead. Right?

Clouds gather over the diner in thick layers. So thick, they appear to consist of dark and heavy cumulonimbus. Adrian's hand rests on the glass as he watches little polka dots gather on the sidewalk. The drops get bigger and bigger as they plip-plop on the cement, spreading out to meet each other until the whole area is wet. The sky grows darker as sheets of water begin to hit the window.

"Ady, I have to run some errands, don't let the place burn down," Kimmy calls, dawning her jacket. "I suppose it won't be ashes by the time I get back if this rain keeps up," she mumbles to herself.

"Huh? Wait-"

The door shuts, leaving his plea unheard. He turns back to the window, seeing Kimmy take the street and disappear around the corner. With a sigh, he glances about the diner, counting the customers at the tables.

Two, three, four. An elderly couple sips on their coffee and comment on the boysenberry pie, a nurse stirs her glass of iced tea, and then there's Daffy.

It's a quiet Thursday evening, rain keeping everyone inside apparently.

A slow swing song drifts through the speakers, giving the diner a strange mood. Something like in the movies; the rain, the smell of coffee, and a slow love song to caress the company.

The nurse stands, tossing a few bills on the table beside her half-finished tea. She darts out the door, a curt nod offered to Adrian on her way out. She holds her purse up to the rain, breaking into a jog as she crosses the street. 

Her figure melts into the rainy dark as the older couple begin to gather their things. The husband obligingly holds his coat over his wife's head when they step out together, laughing as the fat drops land on them.

Adrian just stares, his hand still encasing his broom handle. People still laugh in the rain? The thought puzzles him and he looks at the wet ground, wondering if he could laugh, getting soaked like that.

Perhaps it could happen. He would wear an old t shirt and jeans, and pull his shoes off, chasing puddles and making mud pies in his bare feet. A simper finds its way to his face, thoughts of freedom and child-like simplicity sound so enticing; he can feel the cold water run down his back, the icy caress of a puddle around his feet. His hands bunch into themselves, the feeling of fresh mud getting between his fingernails almost tangible. Yes, he could still laugh in the rain. Life has a strange way of going about things.