Twuntee-wun. More Than Waffles

mk, I have a lot to say about this song. FIRST, I think he's conveying the indescribable longing to desperately love and be loved by God and all of creation, to basically drown in the feeling we can't have (cuz earthly love is imperfect, therefore never satisfying).

and yes, it's a black screen, don't freak out. also, insignificant detail: it's looped for an hour

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

A navy blue parka, a heart-covered pajama set peeking beneath the massive coat, and muddy bunny slippers complete the look. That insistent frog from earlier is still lodged in Adrian's throat. He swallows hard, trying to keep the bad dream from making him do things he would regret. Like testing how she feels in his arms, how her hair smells, stupid, adolescent things like that.

Daffodil makes her way to the stool he rigidly sits on. He stiffens tighter till his face goes a little red. Or is that a different reason? The bunny slippers stop in a straight line in front of the feet of the stool. She looks up at his tightened expression, one of hesitancy on her own.

"Are you oka-" she begins, but he reaches for her hood, yanking it over her hair and tugging the strings till her nose is all that's visible; it peaks through the crinkled circle of bunched up hood. Adrian slides off the stool, settling against her, his head falling on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry for lying to you," he mumbles.

Daffy pulls her hood open, smiling. "That must've been one heck of a nightmare."

He blinks hard, swallowing once more. A few answers float in and out of his mind, but none of them stick, so he remains silent.

Daffy sneaks her lips against his ear, giving a peck. 

"I'm here for waffles, remember?" she asks, trying to distract him from her scandalous actions. Hopefully he didn't notice.

...

Syrupy plates and scrunched napkins adorn the table, a stack of sweet n' low packets in the middle of it all. Daffy's tongue sticks out of the corner of her mouth as her eyes zero in on the sugar tower. A shaky hand brings another packet to the top, ever so gently placing it on the swaying stack.

"Whew," she sighs, pulling back to see it still standing.

Adrian gulps, knowing how this is going to end. Cautiously, his packet draws near the top. The silence thickens in the air along with the tension. Breaths coming to a stop, the grains of sugar shift in the packet as it connects with the top of the tower.

His adam's apple bobs up and down as the moments drag along; Daffy's gaze drifts past the sugar and onto Adrian's face, coming to stop on his eyes. They are slightly crossed with his intense focus, his lip turning white with how hard he's biting it. It makes her bite her own lip as she soaks in the hazel hue of his eyes. 

A sad yearning pulls on her heart and she lets out a soft sigh.

The sugar tower crashes to the table, packets spreading out in every direction with a defeated shkuff sound.

Adrian throws his hands up, a high pitched yelp aimed at her.

"Ah! That was on purpose!" he screeches. "You cheater!"

His voice takes her by surprise. "What? That wasn't on purpose!"

"It totally was! Just like how you always come here every day to see me. That kind of on purpose."

"What?" Daffy stills, her hands bunching up her pajamas in their grip. He wasn't supposed to know that. That's classified information; her dirty little secret that she was trying to ignore, to bury, to let rot in her forgotten memories till her last dying breath. The waffles were a side thing, a coverup. Sure, she loves waffles, but... love... she loves...