Nyntine. Just for Smiles

SO Jay Joseph is Tyler Joseph's little brother. the MuSIcAL GIFt ruNs iN THe faMiLy!!!
and yeah, we found a bop; couldn't leave it out of this story. (the whole album is a bop really....)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

The next thing to do is talk to Daffy. She deserves a proper answer over that cheap lie Adrian told her last time. Hopefully, she'll accept him even though he's put her through so much. Hopefully.

But karma is funny. Really funny.

Daffy doesn't come to the diner. For three days.

Is she that put out? Was he the whole reason she was coming, in the first place? Don't get ahead of yourself, you egotistical wimp. He shakes his head at himself. No, she's a waffle addict, he can't forget.

Adrian runs the dishes through the dishwater. They clink and clunk together over the music outside the kitchen doors and frying noises of the stoves. It's chaotic, but he manages to zone it out with his outrageous thoughts, such as how Daffy was only coming to this shanty little diner because of him. The thought makes him smile, even though he knows she would deny it. He denies it as well but for some reason, he lets the thought stay rent-free in his brain. Just for smiles.

An unintentional shiver runs through his spine as his hands dip into the cold water. Finishing the last plate, he quickly dries his hands and tugs down his hoodie sleeves, still feeling that shiver doing donuts in his shoulders. He's wearing a long-sleeve and a hoodie. Shouldn't he be warm? His knuckles snuggle inside the cuffs and he tucks his chin into his collar. But it does little to prepare him for the blast of air conditioning right next to the door.

Adrian only grows colder as the day moves along. The next shipment of fresh pies comes in Kimmy's car and Adrian and Levi begin to move them to the freezer. He manages to hold in his shivers as they take the already frozen pies out and set them in the glass containers. 

As Adrian sets the last one on the plate, he overhears Levi talking with Kimmy about the mysterious pie doner.

"C'mon, Kimmy, who is he? Where did you find him? Is he a professional?" Levi pleads, his hands clasped in front of her back. "I gotta try them warm, I bet they're a hundred times better fresh. Please, Kimmy?" 

"There's customers, Levi," Kimmy says in a chilly tone and the end of the conversation arrives.

Glancing at all the frozen pies makes him shiver tightly and of course, Kimmy notices as if by motherly instinct. She catches him by the arm as he passes, pulling him around the counter and shoving her hand against his forehead. Her rings are cold on his skin.

Kimmy tsks, shaking her head.

"You feel warm, Ady," she tsks again. "What do you think you're doing here, still working?" Her voice goes impatient as if he's being an idiot for doing his job or something.

He just shrugs, that cloudy, headachy, heavy, sicky feeling settling on him and he suddenly feels too weak to stand any longer.

"Go home," Kimmy doesn't have to order twice.

Adrian gives a half nod, dropping his name tag in her hand and falling out of the front door, into the too-bright sunshine of the afternoon. It blinds him, reminding him of the headachy part he just received with 'feeling warm' but freezing cold at the same time. The sun doesn't seem to do enough of the warming part because there's a strong breeze from the south.

He clutches his arms, following the sidewalk by memory.

The apartment building eventually comes into view and he prays in thanksgiving that he didn't collapse on the way.