Thry. Curse Long Legs!

this meme serves no purpose, but it got me through this chapter, so... yeah

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh yes, Adrian is never going to not work at Lily's diner. That is a fact, the hardest, coldest, truest fact known to... well not the world, him at least. Yes, he hates it, but if he can prove Benny and Kimmy wrong, you're bloody sure he's gonna do it.

Sadly that is only half of it. The other half, which is slightly more annoying (all the more reason to not do it), is that Benny is determined to know why he doesn't date. Ever since he found out, the questions haven't ceased.

This topic itched. Scratched. Shredded his temper, to put it lightly. But of course, he would never give Benny the satisfaction of losing his cool. Especially in the diner.

So, what is the second-best option, to snapping the dinosaur in half on his leg?

Ignore the kid. Ignore everyone. And by everyone, that counts Kimmy too.

Kimmy, despite her wrinkly, tattooed arms and husky smoker's voice, her heart is made of gold; pure, motherly gold. And if the word mother is in definition, it means Adrian needs to find a girl and get married ASAP.

It's as if, once you reach the landmark that is called the age of eighteen, you have entered into a different atmosphere. You're not considered a child anymore, but a mateless adult who is too lonely to take care of yourself. Not to mention, owning a cat is a clear sign that you're bound for the streets once your parents die.

Having only one parent left seems to bring up the pity bar in the onlooker's eyes. They begin telling you to consider dating apps or the priesthood.

Back to Kimmy. Her whistle in fact. It pierces Adrian's ears, making him blink. His eyes turn to Kimmy, mind catching up to the present.

I was daydreaming again. He winces at the realization of how he must have looked just now; eyes glazed over, mouth hanging open, hands hanging like dead fish at his sides, the works. If he is lucky, nobody would have noticed how he almost fell against the corner full of brooms. If it wasn't for Kimmy, he would be conquered by twenty pounds of sticky wooden handles.

"Stop standing around like a fool and come over here." she motions with her gold ringed fingers. They glitter in the afternoon sun, beaming through the painted windows.

Adrian brings himself to stand beside her, awaiting the inevitable order to go wash dishes or help one of the toddlers with their napkin as the parents slug down their coffee between yawns.

Kimmy crosses her arms, watching something with her all-knowing orbs of brown wisdom. They remind him of aged whiskey, years of depth, layered upon itself to have a deep bronze tone.

Oh no. What is she thinking?

A stupid idea of her firing him for zoning out for the third time today pops into his head.

"Uh... I can expla-"

"How 'bout that one, over there?" she tilts her head forwards, eyes unmoving.

Adrian pauses, processing the fact that he isn't getting fired?

Instinctively, he looks over to the end of the diner, where Kimmy's eyes rest. They come to stop on a table full of dishes, a couple of dollar bills nestled beneath a plate.

Confused, his gaze flits back to her.

Kimmy rolls her eyes, sensing his question. "The girl Ady, not an inanimate object."