Twuntee-foor. Resurfacing

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Oh, I'm sorry, come on in." Daffy does her best to laugh as she steps aside for Kimmy. "Is there a reason for your visit or...?"

Kimmy enters the house, pulling her jacket off.

"I would've called you but I was already in the area."

"Is... something wrong?"

Kimmy takes a breath, wondering if a smoke would help.

"Adrian's phone had died. He came to the diner just an hour ago. I-I never seen him in such a state. He said his dad was sick and he needed to use my phone."

The smallest of pangs ticks in Daffy's chest. She gulps as Kimmy enters the kitchen.

"I knew he was going through a panic attack so I told him to call you straight after but he was too scared."

"Is his dad okay?" Daffy holds her breath.

"I don't know. He left before I could get a word in."

"Why didn't he call me?" she whispers to herself. Why does the idea strangely hurt?

Kimmy hears her question.

"He thought it was too late, that you might not even want to see him. I told him that was foolish of him, but I might've been a little soft since he was shaking so bad. And first relationships are like that, I suppose." Kimmy shakes her head, opening cabinets in the kitchen. She finds the mugs and pulls one down for herself. "I told him to come over here and that you wouldn't mind, but the very idea sent him shaking even harder." She finds the tea bags and warms her water. "That boy isn't quite grounded in reality sometimes... It's hard to pull his feet down when he's so high up."

"Why would he... why would he think that? I'm-how could he think so little of me?" Daffy wrings her fingers, hurt by his absence and one-sided rejection. Just because he didn't call her sooner?

"I can't believe he left so quickly too, as if he had better things to do, than see his girl at a time like this."

"Wait, he left, mid-attack?" Daffy freezes. "You didn't even make sure he got home? What if he's hyperventilating?" A thousand scenarios rush through her mind and panic envelopes her. Anything could happen to him. He could collapse on the street in the rain. He could... he could...

"I figured it would be best if you two sort things out. You know, take out the middle-man. But I bet he's probably fine."

"You should've just called me!" Daffy dawns her jacket and grabs the umbrella. "What if he's not alright? What about his dad?" It stings just to say it. She opens the door and decides against bringing the umbrella. It would be faster if she leaves it.

"You probably don't have to run, dear." Kimmy holds up her mug in salute and Daffy jumps over the steps, bolting through the gate in a few strides.

I have to be with him, even if there's nothing I can do. Even if he doesn't want to see me. She makes the sign of the cross, praying, hoping that everything is all fine. She blinks hard, huffing through the big, dark rain drops. Her hair becomes soaked all over again, knotted locks flying behind her.

Four blocks and two turns, Daffy climbs the steps of the apartment building, two at a time.

She reaches the door and presses the doorbell.

Silence amidst the pounding of her heart and her labored breaths.

Daffy pushes the button again.

The thumping in her ears vaguely sounds like music as she wonders if there is another route he might've taken, a detour, a shortcut... What if he didn't make it home at all? What if he took the bus to see his dad? What if he hyperventilates on the bus...