Sevintine. Ink is Permanent

the vibe of this song is really sandy but soft and neat to listen to. i like it. a lot. it fits well, i think. talking about how fear is a part of love and how he called his dad cuz he missed him and whatnot.... the quality, the aura of this sound resonates so well with how i wanted to give life to this story.

perhaps, if you listen hard enough, close your eyes, you might feel what i felt the first moment this idea came to my mind :)

you ever listen to a song and remember the first time you heard it and remember the exact way you felt and where you were in your life? or is that just me? well for me, i found this song a few years ago, sitting on our basement floor, making a friendship bracelet at like ten o'clock in the morning. the sound was attractive and i liked the feeling that he talked about, rolling the windows down on the interstate, how fresh and freeing that would feel. i was young and carefree then, not really understanding the depth of the lyrics as i do now. they feel so personal, they've become a part of me as i've grown up.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Daffy still came. The next day and the next.

Adrian still served her waffles. The next day and the next.

The only difference is that there is a line, sharp and dark between them. She would openly stare at him but like a bug light, the gaze would just disintegrate before it reached him.

The plate clinks against the table, a gorgeous waffle, still steaming with a giant dollop of whipped butter, crowning its perfection. The two of them stare at it for a second.

Adrian is the first to move away.

"Hey," Daffy calls before he can escape her presence. His feet don't let him make another step. His back to her, he just freezes at the sound of her voice. If only she knew how much power she truly had over him.

"I'm not gonna give up, you know." Her voice fuels the fire in his chest, but he does his best to quell the flames.

Adrian gives a small nod before going back into the kitchen.

But it can't happen. There he goes again, lying to himself. And he knows it. The more times he reminds himself, the less he believes it.

Why can't he just let her go?

...

Through the scratched and foggy window of the door, his eyes watch her stand up and leave the diner, making the room safe to be in again. He kicks himself, feeling all shades of guilt but not knowing why.

Why can't he brush away her kind smile and trusting eyes? Why does it still hurt? How could he just cut her out of his life?

Coming out of the kitchen to his notepad, he picks up his pen and begins to add more bird doodles into the open spaces. They look strange, contrasting with the light pencil marks of the other birds.

The shapes get smaller and smaller as they fill up the page. The little doodles cover the paper completely, and just like that, he realizes there's no undoing it. Daffy's filled up his heart exactly like this notebook. The fact is, if she were written on his heart in pencil, it would mean she was removable; she could be erased and completely disappear from the page as if she was never there to begin with. Try as he might to erase her, turns out, it's ink and not pencil. Ink is permanent.

Adrian turns the page back to the face he drew, all in ink.

She's there. Permanently.

The realization dawns that even the test of time can't wear it off. Down the road, ten years from now, the name of the blonde, waffle customer would still stay, legible and firm on the organ he can't live without.