Tawelv. Sunflowers and Regret

lol, Adam Young is an INFP. so obvious... such wholesome mush ahhhhhh 
seriously, a timeless classic. used to dance to this on repeat, when i was 8 or 9 yrs old

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Little doodles of birds fill Adrian's notebook as he leans against the counter. Some are in flight, some sitting down, some posing with lifted beaks and arched backs. He attempts every angle.

Fatigue pulls down on his eyelids and they begin to twitch. With four hours of sleep last night, the day could not drag on any longer. But it does. And it's only three in the afternoon.

Benny sits on the counter beside him, banging on the cabinets with his light-up sneakers.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

Deep breaths... he reminds himself, his birds becoming wonky shaped.

Noises louder than voices have been sending him over the edge recently. They sound hauntingly close to thunderclaps.

It brings back that storm he weathered with Daffy, last night.

The rest of the storm passed in her arms, comforting him in more ways than one. The next thing he knew, he was lying on the floor, Daffy's jean jacket draped over his shoulders. The lights were all back on and the smell of coffee drifted over to where he sat. Gentle trickles of rain caressed the windows.

Every muscle aching, he stood up to see Daffy behind the counter. She was pouring a cup of coffee for herself. How did she know where the coffee grounds were?

His arms still hugging the jacket, he laid it on the counter and took a seat on a stool. His body protesting with every movement, now in post-attack, attempting to recover from self-preservation mode. That stage was considerably just as bad as the actual attack. It always seemed that way, at least.

Daffy turned around, the gentlest of smiles on her cherry lips. It made his insides soar to the clouds, only to twist into knots and plummet back to the ground.

It couldn't happen. He couldn't let it happen.

"How are you feeling?" Daffy asked, a cup of coffee suddenly next to his arm.

Adrian let out a sigh, mind going blank from exhaustion. He shouldn't have let her hug him.

The rest of the time was spent in mostly silence till Kimmy came back and sent the two of them home in the drizzling rain. It was a beautiful consistent trickle, making little pitter-patter noises on the sidewalks. The dirty cement stained his tattered, more-brown-than-black vans, and water splashed through the gaping hole near his toe. He could never get rid of them though. They were his favorite pair.

He was too sore to sleep; at least that's what he told himself. The real reason was that his mind wouldn't shut down after that. It kept alert, waiting for another storm. And it wanted Daffy's arms to steady the world and keep it from crumbling around him. Something so simple as a hug stopped the fragments of his brain from being lost. It kept him in one piece.

And that's what he hates.

He hates that he misses her smile, her calm voice, her baggy jean jacket...

"Adrian?" Benny interrupts, pulling out his lolly-pop. He swings the sticky candy in the air. "What's it like to have a cat? My mom says we can't have one, but you get one. Is that cuz you live by yourself?" The last word goes round in tone, as he shoves his sucker back into his mouth.

"Yeah, you can have a cat too, when you get older," Adrian replies, giving some detail to a wing. 

"When can I get older?"