Together As One

After a few hours of being in the car and aboard the airship back to Whale Island, Killua had passed out from exhaustion. 

He had fallen asleep with his head on Gon's shoulders and the boy didn't bother waking him up as he carried Killua on his back all the way towards his home after bidding Kurapika and Leorio farewell. 

When they arrived back to Gon's house, Killua was still fast asleep, hoisted in Gon's arms. Gon carefully laid him down on his bed and smiled at the sight of the sleeping Killua. Kitty Zoldyck jumped on the bed and began licking at a scratch on Killua's cheek. Gon had to look away before he had a little breakdown at how Killua's perfect skin was cut and bruised. 

After a few licks from the cat's rough tongue, Killua stirred awake. 

He yawned and stretched out, blinking a few times as he took in the sight of Gon's ceiling. 

"Took you long enough. You've been asleep for 3 days." Gon's voice said beside him as the boy sat down on the bed next to him. 

Killua bolted upright and stared at Gon in utter shock. 

"What?! What happened? How-" 

Gon placed his finger against Killua's lips and giggled. 

"I'm kidding." He laughed as he retracted his finger. 

"Oh." Killua rubbed at the back of his neck. "I knew that." 

There was a beat of silence as Killua patted Kitty Zoldyck and Gon thought about what Killua had said earlier. 

"So the real reason you were on the island was because of a mission?" Gon asked. 

Killua nodded.

"How many targets did you have?" 

"13." 

"How many did you kill?" 

Killua hesitated, not sure how Gon was handling this conversation based on his straight face. 

"Only 2. And then I met you and I realized I don't want to be an assassin anymore." He answered honestly. 

Gon nodded. He had already forgiven Killua for killing Mrs. Hinata since he knew it wasn't entirely his fault, and besides, Gon could never find it in his heart to hate the person he loved the most, no matter what. 

Killua scooted closer to Gon and grabbed his hand. Gon's attention darted down to their interlocked fingers and the distinct red marks on Killua's wrist. He frowned at the sight of them. 

"I'm sorry I lied to you... I was just scared." Killua mumbled the last part. 

"I already told you it's ok, I understand." Gon gave his hand a light squeeze and flashed Killua a small smile. "Just promise to be honest from now on?" 

"Promise." 

"Good. I'm gonna go take a shower." 

Gon stood up and walked towards the bathroom while Killua stared after him, silently wishing he could join him. 

As soon as the door closed, Gon turned on the water and began undressing. Once he was stark naked and the water was a decent temperature he hopped in, the warm water sliding down his back and soothing his tired muscles. 

Gon kept replaying the events over and over in his head, more specifically, everything Hisoka had said to him. 

Suddenly his shower didn't seem so pleasant anymore. 

He finished quickly and walked out with a towel around his waist and his damp hair covering his shoulders. 

When he walked into the room Killua's eyes widened at the sight of Gon.