Imitation

San's Pov

Merciless downpour along with thunder breaks had caused me to stay in bed tonight.
Dinner was over an hour ago and my mom must be cleaning after.
As for me.. I've always been afraid of the thundering rumble; it makes the core of my heart shiver.

Nevertheless, I engaged myself with music, loud rock music.
It's the only way I can distract myself from those raging cannonades.

About an hour later, the silver lining on my door stopped glimmering, indicating that mom had herself went to sleep thereby turning off the lights outside.
I guess it's time for me to sleep too.

I intentionally set the last song on my queue to be rationally light hearted, so as to be tender on my ears.
The thunderclaps had comforted themselves in rain laden clouds.
Suddenly, I overheard a sound.

"s...san.."

This was definitely not a lyric.

I, being reluctant to respond to the call, for which I'd have to step out in the dark, played the next rock song in anticipation.
Right in the fraction of a second when the song stopped,
I heard it Loud and Clear.

"San ah please help me."

The voice, being very clear, filled my ears as if, the owner was right in my room. It rang in my ears over and over even after the next song started.

Is it....
Is that mom?

Sensing mom's plight by the intensity of the call, i couldnt help but feel a chill down my spine.

What could possibly cause her to almost
sob in a cry??
I felt goosebumps crawling on my skin as I mustered up the courage to get out of the bed.

Removing the blanket, with which I would have otherwise, covered up my whole face, I plant my feet firmly on the ground.
Raindrops hit my glass window aggressively as I stood up.
Mom never called for me at times like this because she knows about my fear of thunder rolls.
But why did she stop calling for me?

Up until a minute ago, it felt like she was in desperate need of help..but now-

I was interrupted by another helpless cry which came from downstairs.

"San... Please"

What is she doing in the kitchen,
It's half past twelve,
shouldn't she be in bed?

I paced forth hurriedly and slammed the door of my room shut.
My footsteps felt heavy, yet agile, as I ran through the corridor towards the staircase.
The thumping sound of my feet on wooden floor reminded me how I  had wasted enough time in being scared.

Just when I put my first step on the stair, another voice interrupted my marathon.

"San ah.. Is that you?"

It was a surprisingly familiar sound.
But it's unfamiliarity lay in the fact that the voice was unmistakingly coming from the first floor, more specifically, my mother's bedroom.

"San ah, get back into your room."

"I hear that voice too."

My feet froze right where they were.
Cold sweat broke on my forehead as I thought hard about running, but my senses seemed to have disobeyed me.

"Sannie I'll try to come to your room"
"please go"

Somehow, regaining my consciousness, I slowly stepped towards my room.
My chest felt unbelievably tightened and with clenched teeth and fists, I took long strides to reach my room.

The moment I stepped in, I jumped into my bed like a squirrel running from a hawk.
My breath hitched, I hadn't breathed since half a minute.
Landing in my safe haven, anxiousness got the better of me as I realized,
A CREEK IN THE DOOR LEFT THE DOOR TO BE ACCESSIBLE.

I don't know if it's a good thing that I wouldn't have to unlock my door when my mom comes in, or otherwise scary.
For about twenty minutes, I did not peek outside my blanket.
All I want is someone to be with me.
Please come fast mom.

Pondering about what really happened just now, I was startled to hear footsteps approaching my room.
The wooden floor creaked with the nearing steps and my sinking head.

Suddenly the door creaked by a centimeter more and two brown orbs peeped inside my room suspiciously ;
pupils constricted, highlighted by the warms lighting of my room.

"sannie... its me.. lets go from here"

The voice said, pushing the door further.
My clenched fists which held the blanket so tight as to almost rip it, finally loosened at the sight of my mother, clad in her blue satin nightgown.

Fear didn't yet leave my heart.
Even though I was old enough,
there is no age limit to being scared.

"eomma was so scared", she furrowed her eyebrows making me frown.

She yearned with open arms.
Her beautiful brown eyes went up into a crescent as she tried her best to smile at me.
The smile that never fails to provide me courage.

Yet.

I did not move.

Was I so scared that my feet didn't cooperate?
Did I not trust my mom enough to leave with her?

Why?

Because unlike her,

my mother had green eyes.

______________________________________