Parasite

"Do you love me?"

"Do I really need to answer that?"

"I must know if you're really someone I should live the rest of my scanty life with or if you're just a parasite that's suckling onto my heart. ", a plain girl, fragile in manner, frowned after her statement.

The boy passed her a shallow glance before looking up at the sky.

"I love you more and more every minute we spend together."

"Then what if I don't get more minutes to spend with you?"

"..", a burdensome silence befell upon the forlorn lovebirds.
Leaves on an oak tree fell one after the other struck by the monotony of an autumn season similar to the one which persisted between the two.

"then maybe we are not meant to be."

The girl knew her vague questions did not stir her beloved anymore, perhaps he had given up on sugarcoating lies.
Fate spared Jiyeon only a few days to contently love Wooyoung.
After all, the things you yearn for
the most; inadequately subside.
One week from present day was Jiyeon's operation scheduled which would determine their future life together.

One thing is true, they love each other and live for only each other.
Jiyeon and Wooyoung are connected by a thread of fate so strong that if snapped, they both would end up falling in contrasting directions.

She snuggled into his chest lightly grabbing his arm as another cold breeze blew across the path.
"Don't you worry my love.
You're not going anywhere.", Wooyoung caressed her head with his, followed by a mutual sense of comfort leading them to chuckle.

Several days passed. Jiyeon was yet to plan a meet-up with her secret boyfriend. She first encountered him during a morning walk in the central park. In an instant, the two felt a spark between them.
Ever since then, she'd occasionally sneak out to meet him while her strict parents slept away.
.
.
Lost in a reverie, Jiyeon sat near the window capturing the sight of vivid autumn hues wondering if it could be her last one.
For all she knew she hated her illness just as much as she loved Wooyoung.

"Honey are you up?", Jiyeon's mother knocked on the door.

"Yeah come in", she responded.

Walking inside she noticed her daughter staring out of the window looking as gloomy as a rainy morning.
"You... you look happy nowadays.", an awkward silence embraced the two.

"I'm glad.", her mother bent down to kiss her forehead.

"It's just a matter of two more days, then you'll be free from your illness.
We'll be happy together baby.", she smiled with pursed lips while Jiyeon only nodded in hesitation.
She kept wondering if it was the right time to convey to her mother, the reason for her happiness;
She finally said,
"Mom.. I like someone"

"more like.. I'm in love with a boy", Jiyeon's mother stood there astounded.

"W.. Why aren't you..s..saying anything?", she looked up at her.

"Jiyeon I have said this a thousand times ..
Please try to understand, your Dad and I are the only ones you have.
Many people will come into your life like a Parasite, drain your positive energies for themselves and leave.
Because
.
Because...
Nobody can love you in this state.", with this her mother left her room and her in desolation.
Her mother sometimes dwelled as roots of insecurity in Jiyeon's mind. Nevertheless, she was never too fond of her family's approval.

Henceforth she left to meet Wooyoung the very next morning at the same place at the same time.
He was sitting by the oak tree before her arrival just as usual. Their meetings were short but left a lingering sense of security for Jiyeon. She believed him to have her back at all times.

"oh you're here, Hi.", she smiled at her as a tint of relief splashed across his face.
Indeed he was her only safe haven.

"Yeah, I missed you", she hugged Wooyoung as tight as she could lest the moment should wither away like their uncertain future.

"I love you so much."

"I love you Woo."

After a few minutes of mood upliftment, Jiyeon finally stated,
"Today is my surgery."

"but wasn't it scheduled for tomorrow?", Wooyoung furrowed his eyebrows.

"Yeah but my parents believe it must be done as soon as possible.
To them I must be like a parasite mooching off of them.
Yesterday I heard them ask the doctor to prepone the surgery.", silence lingered between the two.

"Promise me that you'll stay with me forever, no matter what.", Jiyeon looked into his eyes, tears swelling up.

"You always say 'Forever is just a lie.'
Then why today?", Wooyoung looked down in despair.

"I feel like I'm not gonna make it."

With this her light sobs couldn't be contained anymore; her fragile fingers fumbled in order to cover her tear stained face the sight of which struck Wooyoung's heart like a prick.
He embraced her calmy and caressed her entangled hair which was better than any sugar coated lies, just as she wished for.

"You are gonna make it. I'm pretty sure of that", he muttered under his breath smiling his widest smile at her.

.
.
The following afternoon was a frightening one for Jiyeon and her family. While her surgery was in progress, her parents were constantly roaming about anxiously, but Wooyoung never turned up on such a critical day.
Had he abandoned her?

After a few hours, the doors revealed a team of nurses followed by a doctor who confirmed of her brain surgery being successful.

Jiyeon's mother then went up to her instantly embracing her daughter while shedding some tears.
But Jiyeon said something which took her by surprise.

"Where is Wooyoung? Did he come for me? Is he outside?"

Jiyeon's mother then sought it necessary to reveal the truth to her daughter.

"My love Wooyoung isn't here.
He never was.
He never even existed.
He was just a fragment of your imagination; a friend you created to escape this reality.

At first you only saw hallucinations of him whenever you went out to our garden. But we got to know...
Your illness had gotten worse to the point you started developing feelings for someone who doesn't exist.

I'm so sorry to tell you like this, but he was just a parasite feeding on your subconscious mind."

Jiyeon's mind went numb as did her hands and feet. She couldn't accept the truth about Wooyoung, whom she believed to be living for.
Slowly things started to get blurry in her eyes as she collapsed on her bed unconscious while hearing faint cries of her parents calling for the Doctor.

__________________X___________________