Runaway - Anonymous

"I've always kept you in my heart,
Today, can you keep me in yours?"

"please"

Your low voice quivered throughout the seamlessly huge hall devoid of any materialistic beings;
Except for the almighty.
Your knees were about to give in after bearing your pronounced weight for quite a while now.

Although after speaking out your thoughts you felt mentally at peace now,
It was indeed a long winter night you had to survive through.

When the inevitable reality extracts you out of the divine trance, you reflect upon the events of tonight, which led you to leave your house.
.
.
"WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME WHO HAS TO PAY THE BILLS? WHY DON'T YOU FOR ONCE TRY TO COOPERATE?",
Your patience ran loose as you confront your husband.

"Whoa, so now YOU'RE GONNA DRAG MONEY INTO THIS?", he masked his incompetency with anger yet again.

"Why n-"

"YOU KNEW BEFORE MARRYING ME THAT I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TO BATHE YOU IN PAPER YET YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO ASK FOR MONEY"

"I NEVER SAID I NEED IT FOR ME", you reached your limit with painful tears brimming in your eyes.

"This is about our future child why don't you understand for God's sake."

Your husband paused for a minute, giving you both a break of silence.

While you wished for him to hug you and say he was sorry, somewhere in your heart you knew it would never happen.

"What is that? My problem?", he furrowed his eyebrows.

"You wanted this child Y/n.
It's your problem alone.", to your utter shock, he pointed at your belly.

The pain was enough to make your brain make a decision surpassing all mighty senses of rationality as you push his shoulders and rush to your room.

"little bitch nagging me all da-", his mumble was interrupted by the sound of your hurried footsteps storming into the living room and without another word, leaving for outside.

You slammed the door so vehemently that the knob dropped on the wooden floor with a metallic 'thud' sound.

.
.
Thus, you were here now, in a church wherein unlike a hotel, you had somebody to talk to, somebody to confide in.

The lofty stone walls brought in a sense of comfort to you, easing your sobs even if it was by a minor degree.

In the middle of your dying sobs you heard footsteps coming your way.
You clenched your fists in defense until they were pale as you bow your head lower in order to hide your vulnerable tear-stained face.

The clicking sound of footsteps never seemed to cease until the sound traversed right next to you.

"I heard you from outside.. I thought I shouldn't interrupt you.", a voice steered your haphazard thoughts.
The voice wasn't too stern, nor too friendly as you judged;
All you could tell was that it belonged to a man who must have been equipped with formal shoes.

"I'm sorry..", your trembling voice mumbled as you tried standing up from the ground.

"... But I badly needed to have a word with him too", he pointed towards the pedestal with his eyes, dimly visible in the candle lights.

"oh.. I see.. May I?", the man seemed to have noticed that you were pregnant and offered to help.

"Are you okay?
You shouldn't be out here this way."

Finding comfort in his concern, your sobs gradually dissipated and you sniff loudly before saying,

"Me?
I ran away from my home.
My husband was upto no good."

"Thats... Sad to hear.", he leaned on the pedestal weakly.

"Sad?", you looked at him directly for the first time.
His features were neither too sharp nor handsome to define as, yet his manner of looking down while talking to you seemed to convey an endearing sophistication.

"It is sad to know that your husband didn't appreciate the greatest treasure he could have had.", he deeply exhaled some suppressed emotion in his heart and continued,
"one day all he will have is regrets."
He looked down at his hands before crossing them in front of him in a defensive manner.

As much as you hate to admit it, you were able to read him like a book.

"I'm glad you didn't judge me when I said I ran away from my home.", you pass a feeble smile to the stranger.

"We all.. Are just pawns in the hands of fate.
If we don't have a say in our problems, we shouldn't have a say in someone else's.", he gently smiled at you.

Perhaps, the candle light wasn't the only source of light in the darkness;
It was the halo casted by a caring heart, which kindred a warm luminescence in both of your bossoms.

After another minute of silence, you hesitantly asked,
"Nobody comes to the church at this hour unless they are in desperate need of consolation.
You too, must have a reason."

"Me?", he looked straight at you with dull eyes and continued with a sigh,

"I just lost my wife and child during the delivery operation yesterday."

"when I came here last night it made me feel less lonely", he added.

Paleness was visible on your face when you realized something uncanny. You breathe out,
"it is only when we see the troubles others are silently facing, our problems feel so small"

He chuckled in amusement.

"it's funny how we are supposed to carry on with this weight for a lifetime.", you stated.

He only hums in agreement.

"You...", he hesitatingly inhaled, chest looking tensed due to something.
"The world weighs heavily on your shoulders.
Whether at Centre or the edge, would you...
Would you let me share this burden with you?", he looked up at you with a sparkle of hope in his eyes.

You simply nodded in amazement.

The next thing you knew was that his slightly sweaty palm clasped in yours with a light squeeze and although your mind never agreed to it, you gently squeezed it back.
Your heart pounded and your chest felt an indescribable warmth.

"Yes", you answered.

______________________________________

I loooove sad stories..

BTW 10 days writing challenge going strong this is 6th day and 5th story lol

Thank you for reading.
I too would love to read your thoughts, so please leave comments.