Chapter 3

Commander Haught entered the flight deck first, Cadet Earp following close behind. It buzzed with activity. A multitude of lights flashing on monitors and control panels. A hum of intelligent machines preparing the ship for departure from Gideon. Nicole sat in the pilot's seat, motioning to Waverly to sit beside her. Nicole was quiet for a moment, reading a screen informing her of the ship's readiness for flight. Finally, she looked up, her gaze lingering longer on Waverly than she realised.

"Your test scores are above average for close combat flying. Best I've seen for a cadet."

Waverly felt her cheeks redden. Keep it together, she told herself, don't give it away you have a crush on your Commander.

"I'm interested to see how you perform."

That was it. Waverly felt herself sink into the co-pilot seat. If Haught kept talking to her like this, she would never make it through the three months without imploding. She would need a long shower after this first session.

Haught maintained her gaze. "I want to see you fight. I know how good Andherei are in battle."

Waverly couldn't breathe. Was Haught hitting on her? No, she couldn't be. It sounded flirtatious. No, she was reading too much into this. But, what if Haught did fancy her? A match made in heaven.

Haught continued. "I need to say this. So we are clear. I run a smooth ship. Everyone pulls together. No individuals. No shining stars. And, definitely no Earp attitude."

Waverly's love bubble popped right in front of her eyes. "I understand. Got it. No shining stars."

"Good. Now that we understand each other."

Crestfallen, Waverly lowered her head attempting not to look upset. Haught clearly had a problem with her. The Earp name and Wynonna's reputation preceding her on board. Haught resumed her reading of the pre-flight checks, unaware of the effect her words had on Waverly.

The checks complete, she glanced over, wondering why Waverly had not asked any questions. She saw the look on her face, realising she may have offended.

"Hey, listen. I take everyone as they come. Prove to me you're worth keeping and we'll see how it goes. OK?"

Waverly looked up, realising Haught was attempting to make peace with her. She forced a half-hearted smile to show she accepted Haught's gesture. She would do her very best to prove to Haught she was more than capable of being part of her crew. That she wasn't like her sister. That she could be an asset, not a liability.

Other crew members were taking their positions, ready for departure. Haught would fly them out, letting Waverly take control once free of the planet's pull. Her first test in front of Haught, to demonstrate her ability to fly a pulse ship. Bustillos winked at Waverly as she strapped herself in. Waverly smiled back, knowing she had at least one friend on board.

The vibration through the ship told her she was about to leave Gideon.

...---... ...---... ...---...

Ten years earlier (2405):

The fifteen year old Haught scowled at her mother. Her mother's words drumming in her ears. Beating out the same rhythm over and over. Duty. Family. Honour. Duty. Family. Honour. The weight of expectation pressing on her shoulders. Pushing her down. Crushing her spirit. Her mother made everything so heavy. Why couldn't she do what she wanted, not what her parents expected. What they had mapped out for her. Couldn't she follow her own map?

She didn't want to go into the military. She wanted to get lost among mountains, swim in oceans, watch life unfold on the multitude of planets at her disposal. Lose herself. Find herself. Why didn't they love her enough to let her be who she wanted to be? Why did it always have to come back to duty, family, honour? What about freedom? What about fun? What about fucking leaving her to decide what was best?